1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What shall I do today?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jun 11, 2011.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I need to keep busy today due to having two things on my mind that I really need to forget if I possibly can.
    Nobody else is free, and the friend I was seeing tonight has let me down.

Any ideas? Not got a lot of spare cash, so expensive outings are off. The weather is looking better today than tomorrow, but rain is expected early afternoon, which means a walk on the beach won't be ideal!

What are your plans?

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Going to the town on the bus, taking the kids to the science festival there, eating out with vouchers from Mr Tesco, generally trying not to stuff face all day thanks to 1lb loss this week (phew), and equally general avoidance of housework (although I might go and clean the bathroom in a minute, and observe the ever-growing ironing pile with a sinking feeling...oh, and hang out the first load of washing and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain on it before I get back..!)

3. How about a daytime cinema excursion? I considered it yesterday as I had a couple of unpleasant things swirling around my head. Ended up not being able to leave the house as Mr.CK had to go out and I couldn't take the child with me to the over 18 film I wanted to see...
    Saying that, once she went for a nap, I found playing a mindless playstation game pretty distracting. If you have any kind of console you could give it a go.
    I feel a bit better today, so plan to go to the gala day in the Links across the road. Looks like it's going to rain though, shame.

4. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'#m ghoimg to gert my newq ghlassses reopaitrd.
    I've had them for a month and they've broken in two!!! Then I'm going to get to grips with the housework or the garden. Probably the garden if it stays fine because I find chopping lumps off bushes helps. As for tonight? Nice hot bath and slob in jammies with a glass of wine. Unless something remarkable happens and I get invited out (improbable).

5. lilachardy

*wonders if gp will be busy using the edit function...*

6. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

7. lilachardy

Thanks for suggestions!

I'm not a cinema fan. I don't have a games console either. I might be able to mow the grass later on, if the rain holds off. I think I might end up pottering on housework etc... at least then I'll have achieved something.

x

8. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

What about those jobs you rarely have time for - clearing/cleaning cupboards,wardrobe/garage. Loud music and loud singing. Very therapeutic (?) followed by facepack, long soak and manicure.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I am off to Sainsbury's in a mo to buy lots of fresh coriander for the huge vat (circa 40-50 portions) of chicken curry (a la Bombaysapphire's recipe) that I've made for my neighbour's <strike>**** up</strike> party tonight.
    I shall then do a quick flick around the house (fellow revellers are staying the night) then go check horses and feed the cluck birds.
    Any spare time will be gainfully used in a continuation of the garage clear out then, I shall shower, change and party on until the small hours! [​IMG]

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Today? Catch up on little piddly jobs and take a few moments to draw breath (half term wasn't really a break for me), then Sunday's given over to marking. So it goes.

Recommended distractions for the OP? A circular bike ride from home, sorting through all your old photographs, tidying up and organising your computer hard drive (outdoors if it's a laptop), filling the car with old junk so you can do a car boot sale tomorrow morning, going through your cupboards and chucking out everything that's past its sell by date.

God I know how to live don't I?

11. Dig out an old phrasebook if you have one and try learning some phrases from another language. If you don't have one then go online choose a language and try learning the alphabet and phrases in another language say greek :)

12. http://www.ents24.com/web/
    see what's on where you are that is free

13. I'm going to start writing my essay for my MA - think I will start with the SoW that my Yr12 going into 13 conveniently agreed to do next year that will fit perfectly into my project- two birds/one stone as I will get a SoW done nice and early... Just have to find that right bit of motivation to open a new word doc and start... after lunch I think....

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I opened our tall kitchen cupboard unit to get something and yet again something fell on me as I did it. I have now gone into a cupboard tidying frenzy.

I have already discovered enough shoe cleaning products to supply the Brigade of Guards, and a box of coffee with a 2002 sell by date. At this rate I reckon by the end of this afternoon I'll have found the missing section of the Bayeux Tapestry.

15. I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but that helped me too when I was having a really bad time and unable to concentrate on books/films. PC games kept me absorbed and probably kept me sane.