1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What shall I bake today?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by cinnamonsquare, May 12, 2012.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I have the urge to bake something for myself and OH today. Have been making cakes for others quite bit recently, so just want something that the two of us can admire then tuck into ourselves! I'm feeling more adventurous than just vanilla cupcakes or a plain sponge with a nice filling.

What would you do being adventurous with cakes and puddings?

2. cinnamonsquare

I have the urge to bake something for myself and OH today. Have been making cakes for others quite bit recently, so just want something that the two of us can admire then tuck into ourselves! I'm feeling more adventurous than just vanilla cupcakes or a plain sponge with a nice filling.

What would you do being adventurous with cakes and puddings?

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

profiteroles
    pavlova
    lemon meringue pie

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Try muffins or a chocolate cake. Recipes follow, btw both work having been tested by many schoolkids

Muffins
    300g plain flour
    1 dessertspoon baking powder
    115g caster sugar
    1 egg
    250ml semi-skimmed milk
    4 tablespoons sunflower oil
    Choose 2 of the following:
    A grated eating apple, a grated carrot, a mashed banana, 75g chocolate chips, 75g chopped nuts.
    1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C Gas mark 6.
    2. Put the flour, baking powder and sugar into a mixing bowl.
    3. Break the egg into a cup and mix with a fork. Pour the egg, milk and oil into the mixing bowl.
    4. Lightly beat the ingredients together with a wooden spoon. Don't beat too much or the muffins will become tough when cooked.
    5. Add the flavourings you have chosen.
    6. Put the paper cases on a baking tray.Using a tablespoon, divide the mixture between the cases.
    7. Put the muffins into the pre-heated oven and bake for 20-25 mins until they are golden brown and risen. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
    If you want to be really chocolatey, remove 1 tablespoon of the flour and replace with 1 tablespoon of cocoa, add 150g chocolate chips.

Chocolate Cake
    150g unsalted butter
    150g caster sugar
    3 eggs
    125g SR flour
    25g cocoa
    1. Grease and line 2x 17.5 sandwich tins.
    2 Put on oven Reg 4, 180C (170 if fan oven)
    3 Beat butter and sugar together until white and fluffy
    4 Beat in eggs, one at a time
    5 Sift in flour and cocoa, very carefully fold in using a metal spoon, this is so you won't beat all the air out.
    6 Divide between the 2 tins and bake for 20-25 mins.
    7 Turn out and leave to cool after removing lining paper and turning the other way up.
    8. Make vanilla, chocolate or orange butter cream and sandwich the two cakes together.
    9. Melt 100g plain chocolate (75% or more) in a 250ml pot of double cream add 30g butter, allow to cool until thick but still runny, pour over the cake.
    10 Hide it and eat it all by yourself.

5. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

6. cinnamonsquare

Those tray bakes look yum Beth!

I've never made muffins before so am very tempted to give those a go (I usually buy those huge muffins from CostCo, gorge myself, and then feel guilty [​IMG])

7. dozymare1957

These sound yummy too. I'm that if I baked the results would be popular - I probably wouldn't get any.
    I have a couple of things that I use to put things in the oven but I don't know if they are baking trays. They came with the cooker and are big, they take up nearly the whole shelf in the oven. They are about 2.5cm deep.
    I also have some that are about 30cm by 12 cm but only about 1cm deep.
    I suspect that the first ones are too big and the second not deep enough. Am I right?
    Oh, just remembered, I've also got a pyrex thingy that I have made shepherd's pie in. It's about 30cm by 12 cm and about 5cm deep. It's got rounded corners. Could that work as a baking tray?

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

In the last 24 hours I have made:

Lemon drizzle cake
    Chocolate cake
    Apple streusel cake
    Carrot cake

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It could....but I wouldn't....the other two sound much better for a tray bake!
    So, one large and about 2.5cm deep...or one smaller and 1cm deep....
    I would suggest trying the smaller shallow one. The bake doesn't rise a great deal, so should be fine.
    If you do want to use the larger tray that's perfectly okay - but just check that the oven cooks 'evenly' - in a larger tin the middle may not get cooked as quickly as the outer edges.
    Good luck - let us know which one you baked and how it turned out!
    Remember cooking is a good deal of trial and error...if the bakes don't work out as you expected....custard (and a fair number of us on Cookery use the instant stuff!) covers a multidude of sins!

10. dozymare1957

When the youngest Lazarus rises I will go through some of the recipes with him and we'll decide what to cook. He actually likes cooking. Then off to Tesco for some ingredients. That may be all I'll cope with today. It will be quite traumatic for me![​IMG] If I do manage to cook something I'll let you know. I might even take a picture but I don't know how to upload one!

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I'm sending good baking rays eastwards dozy, they'll reach you and everything will be fine!

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Baking for me usually means reaching for my Nigella books.
    Last week I made her Old Fashioned Chocolate cake for my Year 12s. This week it's my turn to cook for the house staff coffee so I'm trying the Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes and the Salted Peanut cookies from How to Be a Domestic Goddess.
    I need to decide what to make to send my Year 13s off with a bang for their last lesson. They may well request Malteser cake. It is a firm favourite with the kids.

13. cinnamonsquare

Malteser cake???? A combination of 2 of my favourite comfort foods???? Please can you post the recipe, please, please, please?!!

Dozymare, my OH always says that cooking is easy but baking is an exact science. I don't completely agree with him there as I think adding your own twists and adjustments is the best part of baking. But when you're starting out and nervous it's difficult to go wrong if you stick to the recipe. And mistakes generally taste good anyway! (That's why I leave main courses to him and I'll provide pud!)

Good luck, stay strong, you'll be fine! [​IMG]

14. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

lemon courgette cake
    ·http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5959/lemon-courgette-cake.aspx.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

http://bakebakebake.livejournal.com/1089870.html
    Here it is. It is an unusual cake batter, very wet, but always turns out great.

16. Mmmmm! Might try that!

Today I have made bread, loaf, rolls and bread sticky things.
    Plus 2 loads of muffins, blueberry and raspberry as I have to clear the freezer a little.
    A lemon drizzle, 2 drizzles!
    And I am cogitating on a date and apple bar!
    Yes, I do have coursework to mark this weekend [​IMG]

17. cinnamonsquare

Not got round to baking anything yet, but the kitchen is sparkly clean and I've now sat down to watch the rugby. And as I now also have a drink in my hand, I may not bake at all today [​IMG]

Ah well, there's always tomorrow. Like Pobble, I also have marking to be put off [​IMG]

18. dozymare1957

Procrastination is my favourite passtime

19. dozymare1957

Will someone please cook one of these this weekend and let me know if it's nice? LOL
    I've got courgettes but am not adventurous enough to try this out yet!

20. I bake most weekends :). Today I made Nigella's flourless chocolate brownies and made sure the chocolate I used contained no traces of gluten, so they are gluten free (I'm not gluten intolerant but have a coeliac friend).

They are crumblier than brownies with gluten in them but they taste divine! So gooey, will definitely be making them again.