1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What science investigations do you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KMD, Feb 2, 2008.

1. KMD

KMD

I'm wanting to put together a list of possible science investigations for the whole school to try and get some new ideas in and give the children a variety of things to do - we sometimes have problems with having split year groups and overlap.

Would anyone like to share an investigation question that they have used/has worked well and which unit/area they did it within (just in case it's not obvious to my tired brain ;-)!)

Any ideas welcome!

2. KMD

KMD

I'm wanting to put together a list of possible science investigations for the whole school to try and get some new ideas in and give the children a variety of things to do - we sometimes have problems with having split year groups and overlap.

Would anyone like to share an investigation question that they have used/has worked well and which unit/area they did it within (just in case it's not obvious to my tired brain ;-)!)

Any ideas welcome!

3. Y1 - materials:
    We made fish for a magnetic fish game and tested what was the best material for the game.

We looked at what materials were best to make a waterproof hat for our class teddy.

Y3 - shadows:
    We investigated shadows in the playground at different times of the day.
    We made shadow puppets for a theatre and investigated what made the shadows bigger/smaller to create effects for our puppets.

Y5/6 - changing states
    Made a volcano and created lava from different materials. Had great fun finding out what quantities we needed for the best lava.

These are off the top of my head.

4. Cup/string telephones investigating which type of string was the most effective.

5. I have a book from N Yorks that gives lots of teaching ideas, including different investigations, broken into age groups. To access it you'll need to register (it's free) then look at science section for topic teaching and assessment sheets. An example off the top of my head is getting lower ks2 to pan for gold - have to work out how to get gold glitter from a mixture:
    www.n-yorks.net

6. KMD

KMD

Thanks for these - especially the KS2 ones. I've only taught in KS1 and Foundation and find it hard to come up with things for the big ones!

7. Sarah Warren

Sarah Warren Occasional commenter

Good link redredrobin - thanks for that one.

Sarah

8. KMD

KMD

That's a great list - thanks.

9. I started using Discovery Dog last term It is really problem solving based. Its a shame ther are only a few stories for the year but I have extended it by Discovery Dog writing letters to the class and asking us challenging questions. eg This week he wrote and said Naughty Nora (his puppy niece) had injured her paw. He has an old pram but asks is it best to push/pull her to the vet? I made masks to act out and we thought of ways to investigate the problem.
    It was good fun- my class still havent got the idea of a fair test yet though

10. tigeresslady

tigeresslady New commenter

11. redrobin, what book are you referring to and how can i find it on the site? I have registered now thanks

12. We have to do one investigation on each QCA unit of work to make sure we promote and develop SC1.

13. KMD

KMD

Milk - that's why I'm trying to put together this list of suggestions. I'm not convinced the school is doing enough investigations and wonder if those that are done are being demonstrated by the teacher rather than actually being done by the children.

I'm hoping that by putting together a list of possibilities I might encourage people to have a go. I get the suspicion that at the moment people are covering all the asking questions/making observations of Sc1 but not much else!

14. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

15. KMD

KMD

Thanks those are great!

16. lolo1 - the link is http://www.n-yorks.net/744
    If that doesn't work, from the home page go to curriculum & personal development, science, foundation & primary, our scheme of work, science topic sheets / teaching and assessment sheets.
    The most useful are the teaching and assessment sheets (they're organised by topic).

17. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

We have done a micro-organisms ones - got local hospital to come in and take swabs from chidlren's hand, they then grew cultures in the lab at the hospital and came back to show children what they looked like and explain what they were - bleurg! Kids loved it! We've also just done a 'Boat building challenge' for forces in action - looked at air and water resistance, buoyancy, upthrust etc. It lasted 2 days and the children had to test various materials, select one/two for their boat and build one. We then raced them in a paddling pool - brilliant science challenge.

18. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

ah - should have looked at the date. someone selling something and i've helped to up it - sorry!