1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What roles could I apply for post PGCE as well as class teacher?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by FionaN10, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Hello, I will be finishing my PGCE in June and am wondering what other opportunities there are other than being a class teacher?
    I like teaching but wouldn't want to teach in a full-time job as I am just so tired and my own children are still very young and I don't see enough of them at the moment. I would like a part-time NQT position but don't know how feasible that would be, so am thinking of other options.
    Any advice gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. kazzmaniandevil

kazzmaniandevil New commenter

I know you can finish your NQTs year as a supply. Possibly an option?

3. Youth Work
    Working for the probation service
    Teaching in a museum
    Teaching for a charity
    Depending on your subject pt or sessional work in a college or prison
    Learning Mentor
    Study Skills Tutor/Progress Coach in FE or HE

(All of these positions should have pt options)

4. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I'd definitely recommend doing your NQT year before you go in to any of the careers above. Once you've got that you've got it and could return to teaching later in life. Returning without having done your NQT year will be harder.
    You can do your NQT year part time, it just takes longer. So if you're on a 0.5 contract, you'd take 2years. There are part time positions available, you just apply for them same as a full time one. One of my friends does 3 days per week, so it'll take her just under 2 years to do her NQT "year".
    Doing the NQT year through supply isn't really an option - you can't do it through day-to-day supply, you can only do it if you're employed for at least a term in the same school, which is essentially the same as just having a job anyway.

5. Thank you all for your replies. I like the idea of working for a charity or in a museum and those are options I hadn't considered. I like class teaching but don't love it and just don't think I have the energy for it!
    You're right, it would be best to do my NQT year first. Hopefully I will find a part-time position.
    Thanks

6. I would reinforce the views here that completing your NQT year would be very sensible to open out, in future years, job opportunities.
    James

7. I spoke to the TDA about the NQT year. They said that once I had done my PGCE I will have QTS which will stay with me for life - and I can come back to teaching later on. Refresher courses are available if needed.
    Are chances of getting back into teaching lower if you haven't done an NQT already? Also , what if I decided to become a T.A at a later stage?
    Very confused!

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Prospects.ac website has some information about other opportunities working with children. I would be advise caution if you apply for support roles in school as it can be then difficult to land a teaching role as you could be perceived as " not up to it"
    It is also possible tio work part time as an NQT this may provide you with a better work/life balance.

9. I am in the same position, having completed my PGCE last year and having primary-age children myself. After my placements, I could see that a full-time classroom job just won't going to work at the moment without our family life imploding. I did apply for some part-time jobs, but when I wasn't successful, I decided to put the NQT year on hold for a while and have been doing One-to-One tuition in school instead. I really love it!! You provide 10 individual sessions for a number of children in school time (in literacy or maths), and are paid £25 per hour, plus a bit for preparation.

The only problem is that the funding is drying up, but schools that have already tried it and found it successful in raising standards are finding money from their own budgets. There seems to be a lot around at this time of year for boosting Y6, but it is a bit hit and miss otherwise. We are lucky in that my earnings provide luxuries rather than essentials, so if I don't earn much, we don't go on holiday rather than don't eat! If you are not in the same position, this may not be an option.

I have found it has really helped my planning skills in particular, and keeps me in touch with working in a school, plus the school has now offered me some additional work for a day a week.

And finally, do make sure you have lots of support in place for your big summer placement - it nearly killed me!

Good luck!