1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What reward system do you use in your secondary schools please?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by LynNorfolk, Feb 23, 2019.

1. LynNorfolk

LynNorfolk New commenter

Hi I am part of a group of teachers working with High school students who would like to help make the reward system better. So far the students get online merits which lead to badges and certificates home. This is fine for the year 7's but th eolder ones don't engage with this so would love to have something more relevant to students. Also I worry the "good" students often get missed. Any ideas of what works at your school would be brilliant to hear about. Thank you.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

We used WH Smith reward vouchers. Schools get them at 10% discount. Older ones spend the vouchers on different things, but they seem appreciated.

LynNorfolk likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Why not ask the students ? Budget re reward systems is often an issue so you need to know in advance your funding allocation ? I know this ( rewards ) has been covered a lot in this / other forums ( maybe Secondary ) so a trawl through will be to your benefit . Interesting that you have prioritised ' Behaviour ' but surely your system needs to address effort / improvement / excellence / attendance ? I know in a former setting we went down the line of certificates / points ? ...... which led to a reward ( a pen I think !! and then other things ( money off the Prom ? ) and the system became unsupportable .....

LynNorfolk likes this.
  4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but shouldn't teenagers be getting beyond bribes to make them behave normally? Surely the aim is to educate them to do the right thing because it's right and not because they're going to get a gift? It's no wonder some young people are so fragile when they're treated like this, rather than learning that the consequences of not working or of behaving badly are that they will have a rubbish life. It's really not helping them to give them sweets for behaving normally, nor would it be necessary if schools weren't so scared of Ofsted and data

5. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Hi there,

It's nice to see a focus on rewards as so much of what we discuss is the consequences of poor behaviour.

Opinions are rightly divided on the relevance of rewards to behaviour. Yes, ideally students would behave well as the minimum expectation and standard. However, the reality of working with children who have had such variety of experiences and teaching so far in their lives, shows us that this cannot be the case.

For some children, it is a challenge to meet the 'normal' standard of behaviour. Whether they have special educational considerations or simply haven't been taught how to behave 'properly' before, we know from our experiences that offering positive pathways can work better than simply punishing transgressions. Even as adults, we like encouragement and rewards. And for those who do have the benefit of being able to behave as expected, following instructions, making the right choices, working hard for six hours a day, every day, being considerate to others, managing your own emotions and relationships, rising above poor behaviour of others...I think a child who manages to do these things does deserve to be rewarded at some point.

Money is usually issue here though. Monetary rewards are unsustainable and not ideal for eventually working towards teaching them to behave for its own sake and their own satisfaction. But getting children, particularly teenagers on board in any meaningful way is tricky without material gain! Most places where I have seen it work, there has been an element of competition and personal gain. For example, treats (within school so inexpensive) to which you have to gain access by earning positive points.
    - End of term party (provide a room and sound system, they bring their own snacks)
    - Early lunch passes
    - Leave 15 minutes early
    - non-uniform days
    - Use equipment at lunch
    - Get a pizza delivery to school at lunch time (they love this!)
    - Play music at end of class/in the lunch hall
    - Letters/postcards home
    - Meeting with headteacher for top scorers

What other suggestions can anyone make?

Check out these previous threads too:
    https://community.tes.com/threads/whole-school-reward-system.774277/#post-12464688

https://community.tes.com/threads/rewards-system-for-year-9-11-students.759487/#post-12125363

https://community.tes.com/threads/meaningful-reward-ideas.746338/

LynNorfolk likes this.
  6. LynNorfolk

LynNorfolk New commenter

Thank you for spending the time replying this is a great help.

sarah_dann1 likes this.