1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What revision activities do you do with KS5 classes? Any subject

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by schampion19, Apr 29, 2019.

1. schampion19

schampion19 New commenter

As stated in the question! Looking into different ways of revision when content is finished. Would like to hear from a range of subjects. What do you find is most effective and why? How do you do it?

2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I always used to do a revision quiz with my exam groups. I had a blockbusters type quiz board I projected on the white board and teams had to go across or down connecting squares. Some squares were forbidden so teams could block other teams and so on. Two teams, first hand up answered the question no conferring. If right they got the square and chose the next one. If wrong question goes over to other side who can confer but only the captain can give an answer. Students loved it and it gives the teacher an opportunity to expand on correct answers and clarify wrong answers. You can't do it every lesson because you run out of questions but every now and again worked well for me. Beats ploughing through past papers.

3. mswisdom

mswisdom New commenter

Guess who I am? A game where a student wares a label on their forehead and ask series of question to their partner until they guess the topic/keyword/researcher etc.
    Carousel of different revision techniques ie: poster, revision cards; exam style question;mindmaps

4. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Circus of cam qs with answers., limited by time.
    Quizlet. They love it.
    Kahoot.
    Quiz quiz trade.
    All the usual.
    I used to do; revise whole topic facts in one hour, building a mind map as we go, involves kids listening for the hour; kids just can't do it below set 1, and even some of those struggle. I don't know what's happened to them; but I suspect we've entertained them so much that that is the expectation now.

5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Cams = qs

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Select perhaps 50 scraps of knowledge for one topic. Get them to write encyclopedia articles of exactly 53 words ( other lengths are available, but choose something that isn't a round number). In pairs, critique and review. Pin up the finished articles.

7. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Depends on subject, mine (Physics) I let the better students do their own revision and ask me questions (by better I mean good independent learners with a decent chance of a 7 or at least a 6 at IBDP and who ask questions)

The 5 and below students often lack basic facts, independent learning skills or exam skills. So bespoke activities from quizzes (Kahoot) definition bingo to old skool timed question (or Q) practice with a structured approach (start with discussing what topic, what formula book formula is relevant etc). Try to find their weaknesses and improve.

Culture is relevant, my last school students asked lots of questions, but my current one the culture says don't ask when peers are around or look "stupid". So see them 1 to 1 more to get over that.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

KS5 is different and more focused than lower years / abilities.

Obviously past paper questions are a big part of it.
    In chemistry, I sometimes use "this is the answer, what's the question?".
    Even true false questions can be a good warm up for a topic - once they've corrected the false statements, they have a set of revision bullet points.