1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What resources to grab from work before I start PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by NickiMay, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Hi! I'm new to this forum so sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place, but basically I am currently working full time in a primary school and am due to start my PGCE at goldsmiths in september, I'm going to be doing early years/lower primary - I was thinking about taking some photocopies of different resources or information that might help me during the year. However, I'm not sure what to get that would actually be helpful! Any ideas? is there even any point in me doing it?
    I'm just very aware that I might be in a very good position to get some tips before even starting (i've started writing down websites that teachers use!) and I don't want to get to uni and wish I'd taken more!

2. Hi! I'm new to this forum so sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place, but basically I am currently working full time in a primary school and am due to start my PGCE at goldsmiths in september, I'm going to be doing early years/lower primary - I was thinking about taking some photocopies of different resources or information that might help me during the year. However, I'm not sure what to get that would actually be helpful! Any ideas? is there even any point in me doing it?
    I'm just very aware that I might be in a very good position to get some tips before even starting (i've started writing down websites that teachers use!) and I don't want to get to uni and wish I'd taken more!

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Ask the teachers at your school for advice - they will probably be able to point you in the direction of any particularly good resources/lesson plans that you could copy.
    I would also try and take a copy of all the different planning (long term, medium term, weekly, daily if applicable, maths, literacy, phonics, etc) for your current year group(s) as an example for you to refer to. All schools use different planning formats, but it's useful to see how other people do it and what kind of thing/how much they write.
    Another good one is an example of a child's writing at various sublevels - the class teacher will be able to show you a couple of good examples and tell you the level, if you're not sure what I'm talking about - always useful to have to refer to.