1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What really silly games do you play with your pets?!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bombaysapphire, Feb 12, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would be ashamed to post a description of my soppy behaviour with my dogs on the world-wide web. Thanks for posting yours though and letting me know that I am not alone!
    OK - I will post one. One of my dogs wags his tail when you call him by his name. I have discovered that he wags it like crazy if you sing his name repeatedly to the tune of "Ruby". [​IMG]

2. Many of the poster here know that i refer to my dog as 'the wee scabby dug' but he now actually answers to that! I only have to say "Where's the wee scabby dug?" and he comes running up with his tail wagging! Poor dug!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

One of ours still hasn't been fully cured of his separation anxiety and will shake and cry when he knows we are going out. He is often known as "manipulative furry git" and will wag his tail when called that.

4. My sister had a border collie called Skye....at Christmas time she used to sing [​IMG] "deck the halls with hunks of holly, la la la la la, la , la, la la....Skye the dug's a border collie...." and the dog would start barking and wagging its tail!

5. I don't own a dog (....yet....maybe one day...) but a friend had one which took a shine to me...
    Whenever I visited, the dog would decide he wanted to play. He would bring his rubber bone and drop it near me and back off. If I inched closer the dog would growl, but his tail was thumping the ground happily! For a few minutes we would tease like this. I would creep closer, he'd growl until I backed away. Then I would make a grab for the bone and he would lurch forward at the same time. And we'd play tug of war. .....he would continually make a growling noise in the back of his throat - and for some unfathomable reason so would I!....
    Sadly he had kidney failure and was put to sleep a few years ago....Nowhere in the Bible does it say that dogs don't get to heaven (and that dog had a bigger, more loving 'soul' than many humans I've met!) so I trust that maybe he's still playing boney-tug-of-war somewhere!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our late moggy had a thing about pencils. Any pencil found overhanging a table had to be batted to the ground. That was the source of one or two amusing games with her.

Our surviving cat responds to speech, and it's possible to have quite long conversations with her, although she wasn't very talkative before the other cat passed on. She also does a funny little routine where she rubs her chin on a piece of furniture to mark it, walks in a figure of eight then rubs heads with me, presumably to mark me as well.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

In the summer I pick a big, long piece of grassy stuff and stand in the middle of the lawn and whirl it round and round in a big circle. Both my cats love this and give chase until they get dizzy and have to lie down to recover.

8. Years ago, when I had a kitten, I 'trained' it to run up my leg and then I'd run around with it on my back! I thought this was great and showed my flat-mate. She said in her slow American drawl......"Yeah, that's great Annie......Look what I've got MY human to do!"

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

One of my mates, mid fifties, repo man, kinda rough. Well his daughter has moved back from university, she is driving him up the wall. So he has made a little sledge and sits t'cat in it, towing it around the house making chuffing noises. She is so embarrassed she leaves the room and he gets to watch what he likes on the telly without any argument.

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Genius [​IMG]

12. LOL! I also like playing 'fighting doggies" I get down on all fours and 'growl' and try to grab his paws, and he growls back and tries to nip my hands (it's all coming out now!)

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

When I was wee I trained my cat to play a chasing game with me. He would 'taunt' me until I chased him round the side of the house and up a flight of steps, where he would then safely scamper up and into the branches of an overhanging willow tree. I would then run back down the steps and as I passed below him, he would drop onto my head, where he would cling on for dear life, until I had ran back round to the front of the house, whereupon the whole game would start up again.

14. LOL! That sounds like great fun! I taught my cat to 'sit' while I put his dinner out. (no mean feat) This cat was fearless.....I took him to the vet one night, and he wanted to make friends with an Alsation puppy. The owners were very precious and hauled their dog away from my cat saying "Oh, he hasn't had his injections yet!" Later they put it on the floor and were saying "sit!" and it wouldn't. So I very casually nudged the cat off my knee and said "Tigger! Sit!' and he did......[​IMG]

15. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Crikey, Annie - where d'you want me to start? [​IMG]

16. Any where you like....... I've only telt the half of it....and am still looking for ideas!

17. Ha, these are funny.

One of the things we like to do is hide behind trees in the park, then sneakily watch as he realises we've disappeared and starts looking for us. Then we jump out from behind the tree.

It amuses us, anyway.

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Ha, ha - well you asked for it!
    Best games:
    Ball up the stairs - stand at the bottom of the stairs, dog at feet (quivering with excitement). Throw ball up the stairs so it bounces off the landing wall and comes back down to be caught by me... if dog doesn't get there first! After half an hour she's absolutely cream crackered and hoarse with barking. Note: we live in a detached house and are not houseproud (this game is NOT good for your decor!).
    Find it! - get dog thoroughly kittled up by repeating the magic words 'let's play', with toy/treat in hand so she can see/smell what she's got to find. Shut dog out of the room and hide the object, making sure you rub its scent on loads of other places to make it extra difficult for her to find it. Open door, make her sit and wait (cue especially high pitched barking), then shout 'find it!' Lots of praise when she does locate the object.
    Ball in the blanket - roll dog's favourite tennis ball (or toy) in an old blanket or towel, throw it and she has to extricate the ball from the 'wrapping'.
    Ricochet - set up two old armchairs face to face (ideally with one againt a wall, to avoid too much movement) and watch the dog bounce madly from one to the other, trying to catch the toy you're moving back and forth between the chairs. This game is also not for the houseproud!
    I have more, but you're probably already starting to view me as certifiable, so I'd best stop. [​IMG]

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]I love this.
    We do a variation of it in the house with the cats. And each other, I might add [​IMG]

20. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh, just one more then.
    Hide & seek - stand at the top of the landing and throw a tennis ball down the stairs. Whilst dog is dashing off to retrieve ball, quickly (and you have to be darn quick in our house) hide behind one of the doors in the upstairs rooms. Dog has to find you behind the correct door first time to get 1 point. If not, you get the point. Best of 20.
    p.s. if she gets it wrong first time, I jump out from behind my door with a blood curdling yell. This drives her potty, because she HATES to lose.