1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What REALLY gets your goat when you're marking writing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by k-jayne, Jan 25, 2011.

1. add do'nt and deosn't to the list, thought I was the only one despairing[​IMG]

2. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

That's a jolly long sentence ;)

3. Does Christ not need a capital C?

4. now, now... [​IMG]
    We are all entitled to make mistakes etc on such a forum (I know I do). But for the most part, our errors are simply that - whereas some of our delightful pupils seem to have ignored our grammar teaching [​IMG]

5. Worse still - i with a heart where the dot should be!! Argh!!

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

And full stops and letters with dots as big as chocolate buttons.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

the use of the apostophe in plurals, e.g "And we all had chip's for tea". Arggh!

8. Had a laugh over Post#34 from deebeedee 'fanks'. I have had quite a few with 'fanks' and also the one that gets to me in both speech and the written form is 'arkse' ie can I 'arkse' you a question?
    Also had the talk to the parents about her spelling improving if her pronunciation was clearer, they 'arksed' me what difference it would make!

9. "Definitely." Sorry. "definately is one of my pet hates, along with "seperate." (Should be "separate."
    Think: Finite, infinite, definite. There's an 'ini' in the middle.

10. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Children who believe c and k are interchangeable. They write cill for kill, lice for like I teach KS1, and encounter this problem regularly. It's odd, but I trace it back to their being taught at an early age the hard sound " c is for cat " and can't seem to cope with the softer sound encountered in "cell" for example.
    alot (a dog, a cat, a bag, how hard is it to write <u>a lot</u> !)
    apostrophes wherever there is an s

I came across this in an old book:
    An apostrophe shows the owner of anyone's things, it's also used for short'nings.
    dunno if this help's, innit, but i lice it alot. the end!!!!!!!!

11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Oh, and plurals such as pony - ponys.

12. Christ needs a capital too!

13. As an A Level examiner, I find most irritating - and more frequent - 'aswell', 'infact', 'infront' especially irritating. Also, those who end the last paragraph 'In conclusion', or worse, 'Conclusively', those who think the possessive of 'it' is 'it's', those unaware of the distinction between 'less' and 'fewer', or 'amount' and 'number', those who truly believe there is a verb 'to of'.
    An oddity is the range of variants for 'said', 'wrote', 'argued', 'thought', 'claimed', often with scant regard for the distinction between transitive and intransitive verbs.

Common ones are:
    'X highlighted that/expressed that/put forward that/forwarded that/insinuated that (as in 'the Nazis insinuated that Jews were inferior' - I always thought the Nazis were quite open on the matter, but still!)'

Less common, but also seen:
    'X agitated that/rotated that/intimidated that/protagonised that/invoiced that/"

14. ...and people who write 'irritating' twice in the same sentence.... Sorry.

15. For me it is just being able to read the students handwriting, trying decipher what the scrawl across the page actually is. On more than one occasion I just think a spider fell into a bottle of ink and just ran for its life.

16. I can live with children making mistakes. What really gets me down is having to correct colleagues when they write reports. Recently I have had to send back i for I; recieve for receive; and a host of missed apostrophes or apostrophe's wear their shuldnt be none. Oh no it's catching ....

17. I have even seen 'allot' a lot... But what I really cannot stand: 'gonna' and 'wanna', 'u' for you (and other words used in text messaging) and Yoda-speak (because of the Dutch to English translation).

18. grrrrrrrreat

grrrrrrrreat New commenter

This happens in Year 7 too!

19. This happens up to year 10 if you're unlucky!! I have wasted many a good red pen on massive circles around alot...

I also feel the urge towards sarcasm when I hear "my pen is broke". 1) brokeN, 2) that is a statement for which I can only answer 'yes... well done... what would you like me to do about that?'

20. andybeale

andybeale New commenter

I get so wound up by people using it's instead of its and your instead of you're. And that's just the teachers.