1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What REALLY gets your goat when you're marking writing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by k-jayne, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I cannot STAND children using "alot" when they actually mean "a lot". I know it's a small thing but it really grinds me. (Have seen it on here a few times).

2. I cannot STAND children using "alot" when they actually mean "a lot". I know it's a small thing but it really grinds me. (Have seen it on here a few times).

3. I could of.....
    We was going....
    Anyone who writes aperson's name without a capital letter (especially if it's the child's own name!)
    The over-use of exclamation marks!!!!!
    Writing "dum, dum duuuuuuuuh" for a "shock-horror" moment
    THE END at the end of a piece of work....
    I could probably go on!

4. Missed a space!

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

When children write a sentence that omits words - "reread it... what's missing?" and then they reread it, and SAY the word they omitted, but can't see that it's missing! arrrgh!!

Also, when children write the same thing 3 times, because they've forgotten what they were writing, or for whatever reason and then not re-read it. So it says things like "He says that he says then he said" arrrgh! I spend my whole life saying "RE READ WHAT YOU'VE ALREADY DONE!" lol

6. Not writing the title/LO correctly - it is on the board for them to copy! Or spelling the date incorrectly - also on the board.
    JSY x

7. Jun

Jun New commenter

8. Use a capital I for c h r i s t ' s sake!!
    There is no instance EVER when you should use a mini i standing on it's own!!
    Also, using an apostrophe just because you've used an 's' at the end of a word.
    Maybe there comes a point in one's teaching career when you just can't face seeing the same mistakes time and time and time and time again and you just quit.

9. I marked a piece of writing today that was full of this - so frustrating. When I pointed it out, he then went through his piece of writing and changed every i on its own or at the start of a word to a capital - EVERY SINGLE ONE!

To make it even worse - I teach Year 6!

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This also my own particular 'pet hate' Littlemisscurious. I always point out that thisit shoud be obvious from the last sentence.

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

I give my children a list of pointers as to what to avoid if they want to keep me in a good mood
    could/should of
    we was
    lots of ( how many!)
    stuff
    nice
    .............. ( how many do you need and please restrict usage to once per piece of work, not once per paragraph!)
    !!!!!!!!!! ( comments as above)
    They think I'm a nag!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I dislike 'the end' as well. Of course it is the end idiot child there is nothing else after it!

I also dislike 'by Johnny rotten' at the end...Well of course it was by you, your name was at the top!

I dislike the endless use of capital letters at the start of every single line and for the 'name of things' (Such as chair, lunch, etc). What on earth did your last teacher teach you? Aand it must have been them as 1 they are useless and 2 almost all of you do it!

Oh and the only full stop is at the every end of the piece of work, not any other punctuation to end a sentence anywhere.

And scarily I also have year 6 and about 3/4 of my class began the year doing all of the above, despite coming to me as apparently level 4 writers! Yeah right!

13. Writing 'b' when they mean 'd' or the other way round.

14. All of the above...or just not puttig in effort!

I teach KS1 so the b/d thing happens a lot. I had one girl who honestly didnt know which was which...she just thought you culd use either...and she did. Her work was so difficult to read! I solved the prob in a day...gave her a piece of paper with a b next to a ball and a d next to a dog....she hasnt made the mistake since october half term and her work looks so much better for it!
    Had one kid today who spelled his name wrong on a mock SAT paper - not even LA!

Doing a mock long writing tomorrow...if any of my lovely darlings write anentire piece of work with no capitals, fullstops and at least one other peice of punctuation (commas, exclamation marks, questions marks, speech marks!) I will not be happy!
    also writing 'f' for 'th'. Had a more able child today write paff for path. On the other hand I go on about it that much one wrote thork (fork) and othice (office) - he said he thought he wasnt allowed to use f anymore. It's the way they talk....how we teach them to write when parents/carers havnt shown them how to speak properly?

grrrrrr...shouldn't have read this thread!

15. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

in narrative when children can't think of just one character so list 8 of their friends... repeatedly.

16. Key Stage 1 - absolutely detest this. It's becoming more and more common and definitely to do with speech (I blame Eastenders!). The little ones just don't realise it's actually incorrect to spell it like that! I always mention this at parents eve too!!!

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

your instead of you're - really gets my goat!

18. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I've just proof-read a 140-page corporate report. There were plenty of these mistakes in there! There was a "should of", several there/their swaps and plenty of stray apostrophes.
    It's been approved by our Directors. I could weep [​IMG]

19. invincible

invincible New commenter

Gets my goat that it takes so b.loody long! Can't read more than half of it, no finger spaces, no capital letters after full stops, comical spellings. However, I teach a grade 2 class, almost all EAL and some of the weird and wonderful things they write do make my day [​IMG]

20. I can cope with the mistakes in the writing. What gets my goat is the marking policy.
    Mark to the learning intention, LIA, LIN, LINA, next steps, two stars and a %$&&*% wish.....blah, blah, blah.....
    None of that is for my class of year one children [​IMG]