1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What reading programme for secondary Grammar school? Phono-graphix?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by puffling, Feb 24, 2010.

1. I've recently been appointed as Learning Support Co-ordinator in an Independent Grammar school. The previous SENCO used Phono-graphix with KS3 pupils who were struggling with literacy (relative to rest of school population). Having researched online I can only find reference to its use teaching Infant pupils to read. Would Phono-graphix be approprate to my purpose? What else could I use? Any advice gratefully received.

2. Phono-Graphix is OK, but does it have good text resources to accompany it? Good decodable reading material is vital for improving decoding and fluency skills.
    We use Ruth Miskin's Freshstart in KS3 (pub. OUP).We find it very successful.
    If you could get to the Reading Reform Foundation conference in London 19th March (for details: www.rrf.org.uk )there will be workshops on a number of leading phonics programmes, suitable for all ages, and you could see what choices are available.

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Part of me wants to question how/why these children are in grammar school if their reading is so poor? Is it actually their reading they are struggling with or is it more their spelling? If primarily reading I would say RM freshstart is good (but pricey). Altenatively I would say Sounds Write is fantastic - really helps with spelling as well which I would have said is vital at this stage. However, that does mean you have to go on 5 days training (but will still prob work out cheaper than RM)

4. You can train online now: Open University Sounds~Write online training course www3.open.ac.uk/courses/pdfs/GE068.pdf 'This course guides you through teaching reading and spelling using a linguistic phonics approach'.

5. Hi thankyou all for your replies and reading scheme recommendations. I will look into them.
    The pupils I teach would not be considered to be in need of SEN support in another context, but in the context of a selective grammar school they are. It's becoming more of an issue as with currently less children applying for places than in previous years they are accepting pupils they previously wouldn't have.Tachers used to a certain type of pupil are panicking and looking at me to provide a miracle fix!
    Maizie the conference looks as if it could be useful. I will check it out. If anyone esle has a position in a similar school, I'd love to hear whar you do.

6. Oh and any thoughts on Alpha to Omega?

7. I have used phonographix , sounds write and alpha to omega .The first two are very similar in fact I think the sounds write is based on phonographix .Alpha to Omega was written for adults as well so might be useful in your context .(I work in a special school)

8. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Think you should consider dealing with this by some whole school training and the nature of inclusive teaching. Expecting you to do something in isolation is not the way forward - you need to equip them with the skills to help and support these students in the classroom . I know there will be others who will need intervention of a more discrete nature in which case u are right to look at the options of ICT programmes. If you don't work with the staff and raise awareness of what they should do to support literacy across the c/ *** they will always come running and expect you deal with it - will not be supportable in the long run .Good Luck

9. First of all you need to get to the bottom of your pupils' problems. If it is "decoding" the words, then Sounds Write is definitely your best bet.
    If poor spelling is the issue, you have to ask yourself how much of an issue that really is. (Is it just the English Department who complain?)
    If comprehension is a problem, that could be very difficult in the kind of school in which you work, but the SRA reading labs are dire and best avoided.
    PhonoGraphix is OK in principle, but has very little in the way of supporting resources, plus it's recommended that all work for remediation is one-to-one. It's fine for whole class teaching at the right age - ie Reception to Year 2.
    Don't bother with Alpha to Omega unless you can do really intensive
    one-to-one work daily with each child. Unless you do, you won't get to
    the end of it. [By the way, it is incorrect to say that it is designed
    for adults; it can be used with any age group].
    Sorry not to be more positive. - Sounds Write is the way forward for you, I suspect.

10. www.phonicsinternational.com
    This might be useful. It can support learning alphabetic code knowledge systematically, and incidentally, and whilst it can improve blending-for-reading skills, it can be 'sold' to older students as a spelling programme.
    I would like to see alphabetic code charts in every classroom to support spelling. There are many free versions in Unit 1 - no registration required.
    The Alphabetic Code Chart shows the rationale of sounds to spelling alternatives instantly and can be used as a permanent reference chart for spelling, not just for strugglers but for any mainstream teaching.