1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What qualities does a HT and Clerk think makes a good COG?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Kez101, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I've been approached and asked to consider standing for election as a COG.
    I just wondered what qualities a HT would like to see in a COG to make this important relationship effective. (Except for absolute confidentiality, that goes without saying)
    Would a HT prefer a COG to come from a background with particular areas of experience or anything?
    And the same questions to Clerks...what would you like to see in terms of qualities and experience?

2. I've been approached and asked to consider standing for election as a COG.
    I just wondered what qualities a HT would like to see in a COG to make this important relationship effective. (Except for absolute confidentiality, that goes without saying)
    Would a HT prefer a COG to come from a background with particular areas of experience or anything?
    And the same questions to Clerks...what would you like to see in terms of qualities and experience?

3. I think that you might have this the wrong way round. As a prospective, or actual, CoG I would be asking myself about the qualities and experience of the Clerk. I have working with some superb ones but some were so lacking in knowledge and experience that they were more of a burden than a crutch.
    As an example of how bad it can get - if an email was sent to me as Chair (and copied to her) headed "Private and Confidential" she used to forward it to the Head without any reference to me.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

That might not have been a lack of knowledge and experience!!