1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What qualifications does a Reception Teacher have?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by milliebrindle, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Because I've good some numpty on the opinion forum telling me that any unqualified joe can do their job for half a day covering PPA - help me out here please!!

2. I think its right that you can cover any primary class for 0.5 day without having a teaching qualification. Officially, I think, you need to be either a nursery nurse or have a certain stage of teaching assistant qualification (stage 3? - not sure). Might be wrong but I think that is somewhere near the truth!

3. Sorry, I haven't worded this properly because I am fuming after seeing an advert for an instructor/TA to cover PPA. I know it's legal to have instructors and Cover Supervisors, but this numpty is saying what is the problem with Reception children having unqualified staff reading to them, painting etc for an afternoon a week covering PPA. I think it is MORALLY wrong and is another example of children and supply teachers being ridden over rough shod.

4. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

And I bet they don't have a teaching qualification either....

5. This http://www.esinet.norfolk.gov.uk/Personnel/vacancies/new%20website/viewentry.asp?ID=10/127

TEACHING ASSISTANT/INSTRUCTOR

<u>SH*RINGHAM COMMUNITY PRIMARY SCHOOL & NURSERY</u>
    C*OPER ROAD, OFF H*LWAY ROAD
    SH*RINGHAM
    NORFOLK

Teaching Assistant
    Required to start 16 November 2009 (negotiable)
    Hourly rate (Scale 1/2): &pound;7.19 - &pound;8.00
    19 hours per week, term time only

A TA is needed in our very successful foundation stage, reception class. We are looking for an enthusiastic early years practitioner.

You will need to be NVQ EYFS level 3 trained or working towards this qualification, and ideally have experience of this role for 1 year or more. A current first aid certification and child protection training would also be beneficial.

Instructor
    Required to start 16 November 2009 (negotiable)
    Hourly rate (Unqualified Teachers Pay 1): &pound;12.19
    6 hours per week, term time only

You will instruct in the 3 reception classes to release teaching staff for their planning, preparation and assessment time.

It would be preferable for these two roles to be taken on by one person, but we would consider applications for each role individually.

For more information or to visit the school please contact GS**** via the school office on 01263 *******.

Application forms are available from the school office or downloadable from www.norfolk.gov.uk/schooljobs

Closing date for both posts: 5 November 2009 (12 noon)
    Applicants shortlisted for interview will be contacted by 6 November by phone.
    Interview date for both posts: 10 November 2009

This school is strongly committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
    is the advert that had me foaming at the mouth:

6. I like the use of the word 'instruct'! I wonder how long the head and deputy were pondering over what word to use there.
    Well, as has been said before many on this forum, until parents become aware that the person in their child's class is not qualified nothing will happen and schools will do it because they can. It is happening all over. My children's class' PPA is covered by a nursery nurse. What I want to know is why aren't the class teachers making a fuss aswell? They are not meant to plan for PPA time, and yet TAs are not expected to plan. So what happens there then?

7. stupot101

Do the Unions know about this... or are they turning a blind eye to it as usual?
    I don't blame you for foaming at the mouth...

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I am a bit surprised that youa re corss about it today. This has been going on fora few years now.
    You need QTS to be a teacher, but not to cover classes. A TA can cover for a day even if the school are happy with it. Some small schools use TAs for all their supply needs.
    No it isn't 'right' but it also isn't new.

9. stupot101

or rather if the 'Head is happy with it' This is apparently true of the CRB as well, or rather so I've been told by one prominent agancy in the past.. and actually it has happened to me.... but I wouldn't want to go shouting about it.

10. stupot101

Sorry aboutmt grammar.. shouldn't have use rather twice !!!

11. When my daughter was in reception we discovered she was being baby-sat by a TA one afternoon a week. At parents evening the teacher tried to make out that the law meant that schools had to cover lessons in this way. When I asked her what law that was she started to blush and told me that I would need to ask the head. The following week PPA was covered by a teacher.
    Sadly the school now has a new head and I think that we will be going into battle on Thursday night because the school has now reverted back to using TA's to cover PPA. So on a Monday my daughter has her class teacher for 2 hours, a floating teacher for 1 hour and a TA all afternoon. I wonder how the school would react if we suggested taking my daughter out of school every Monday afternoon? If the school doesn't budge this time I intend to stand as a parent governor and use by statement to parents to publicize what is going on.

12. stupot101

Sounds like a school I taught at.. the only one who lnew what was going on was the Head... and if parents did have a problem... 'Well I need to know what's going on or I can do nothing about it' wa the response. However none of the teachers knew what was going on....
    Sounds like passing the buck... or in the Tecahing porofession 'doing as ones told.. following instructions' or rather they now classify it as being a 'team player'

13. Have to say I totally disagree with the sentiments here. I am a qualified teacher, and in the past (though not at current school) have had the nursery nurse cover my PPA. Frankly her levels of understanding about the children, the EYFS, planning activities (she planned her own, which I then 'signed off') and professionalism put the supply teachers to shame. I would hate to make generalisations and I'm sure some supply teachers are great. However I know that the children got a much much better experience from being covered by nursery nurse than the supply teacher in this case.

14. Well this is how things work in primary. My last long term post consisted of me an experienced qualified teacher on a PPA team each covering 1 of 3 classes each afternoon. The team was also an HLTA and a teacher who had recently done her NQT year and who was doing withdrawal maths groups in a morning. PPA work was planned by, guess who? The HLTA. She worked full time hours, was the PSHE coordinator and was given PPA time herself one afternoon a week. I have to say her planning wasn't great and if I was not qualified and experienced then I would not have been able to get her lessons to last the time they were planned for and I often did add my own things to it. Teachers aren't supposed to plan for their PPA time which leads me to believe that really a qualified teacher should be brought in as we are the ones trained to write planning documents. Saying that the other days at the school I spent covering management time and was given copies if the class teachers weekly planning which she did with colleagues as there were three per year group. The parallel teacher would fill me in on the lesson content for the afternoon when I arrived as often the teachers plans were little more than a LO. I was sometimes left worksheets and resources but still had to use my experience and training to turn it all into a lesson. I had a disagreement with the agency and school after 12 weeks as they were paying me flat rate as a teacher but wouldn't change to AWR rules and pay to scale. Their reason? You are working as a CS/HLTA delivering from already planned lessons. Hmm, I tried to argue that a random CS off the street or even a TA/HLTA would struggle to 'teach' what I was being left but they insisted that in September when they advertise to fill the role permanently then it will be as a cS/HLTA. Suddenly I wasn't needed. Whether reception or Y6 onwards I believe regular cover of classes should be done by a qualified teacher. For these children a TA was teaching all of their PE and PSHE allocation, yes hardly literacy or numeracy but still children should have the right to be 'taught' by a teacher. My old permanent jOb used a HLTA/Nursery nurse to cover first day absences. Teachers had to have a file of emergency lessons planned and resources for such instances and I was always uneasy about it but for one random day didn't see a huge issue as if we called in to say absence was longer then a supply teacher was brought in. It was down to budgets in the end and we did see less supply in school and obviously schools hadn't realized the impact on teachers who lived off these one off jobs. All HLTA jobs are now advertised to include covering whole classes and when I am looking for work in the new year (taken maternity ) I may apply for TA and support roles but I certainly won't apply to be an HLTA so that I can be used as a cheaper teacher!