1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What qualifications do you need to be a school Chaplain?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by dianaprince, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Just wondering really, as I always see the jobs come up in the RE section.

2. Just wondering really, as I always see the jobs come up in the RE section.

3. Depends on the school.
    Definites - belief in God, active faith life, mature Christian
    Possibles - sometimes they want them to be ordained/sometimes not/some want the ability to teach RE or another subject for part of the timetable - others don't. Sometimes they want you to have some expereince/qualification in youth work or teaching degree.
    In my diocese I would reckon the school chaplains are pretty evenly split between ordained and non ordained.

4. Thanks. Just curious cos there have been loads advertised for. I wondered whether they were ordained or not.

I feel more informed now!

5. Generally if the post is advertised it won't be for an ordained person, in the strict sense of the term. The reason is that you don't normally obtain the services of a priest or minister through advertising to the general public.
    However there's a whole hierarchy of "ordination". For instance the Catholic church has deacons, as well as officially registered catechists.