1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What qualifications do I need to teach Media/Film at college level?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by YellowJellyBaby, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Hi,

This is my first day in to researching what I need to do to start teaching. I would prefer to teach Media/Film as that is what I have a degree in. I have taught abroad but have no official qualification here in the UK.

What would be the first step/course I would need to look at to teach at college level?

Thanks in advance

2. Can anyone help here? or know where else i can go to get the information?

Thanks

3. Hi,
    I'm not sure if there are many Media teaching courses - but I'm on an English with Media PGCE. I have a degree in English but there are others on my course who did their degree in Media. I'm on my second placement teaching English and Media, and there's another girl there who is at a different uni on a different course for just media that's training for teaching in the lifelong learning sector. It's aimed at teaching students aged 14+ but you still get your full QTS at the end of it.
    What other info did you want to know?

4. I am just about to finish my (DTLLS) Diploma to Teach in Lifelong Learning. It was two years in total a lot of College specify that they want you to have this or be working towards it. I do not have a Degree in media but have practical experience. You I think would qualify with your degree. The qualification is to teach 'Post -16' but it looks like legislation may be passed that with a DTLLS you may soon be able to Teach the under 16's too.

Anything I missed do give me a shout.

5. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

I did a 3 year undergraduate degree at Bournemouth uni in Media Production and then worked for 3 years in the media industry as a researcher / editor.. I then did some volunteer youth work to get experience with young people. I then completed a 1 year PGCE teaching qualification course in Media at the Central school of Speech and Drama (CSSD) in North London. its one of the only places in the country that you can do a solely Media teaching course rather than combining it with english etc.. But some people went straight to do the PGCE straight after they finished their uni course and didnt have the experience in the industry.. That PGCE qualification enables me to teach at all ages from 11-18 which gives me the freedom to teach at colleges if I want to, but also enables me to apply for normal secondary schools too.