1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What proportion of your working time is spent on marking, planning or other tasks?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by lucyrose50, Dec 14, 2011.

1. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I'm just wondering what usually takes up the most of people's non-teaching time - marking work, planning lessons or anything else? I've always struggled to get work marked as regularly as I should, but I really don't know how anyone has the time to fit it in - I can't really see how I can spend less time planning lessons, as I already reuse as many resources as I can (or get them from places like TES resources) and I'm pretty well-practised at planning activities that take as little time as possible to prepare. I get pupils to mark their own work in class where possible and then I'll either go round in the lesson and give it a tick to show that I've seen it as well, or else I do that when I take books in to mark, but I'm really struggling to figure out what I can do less of so I have time to mark work properly. Does anyone have any tips?

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

I spend about 30 mins per class per week marking
    I have been doing this job for 20+ years so I spend about 5 mins per class planning ..... unless itis for an obs

3. Planning takes about 5 mins, I agree, though sometimes preparing materials takes longer - even if go through the usual admin support for photocopying, laminating, cutting etc
    I also think that we're our own worst enemies sometimes by trying to do too much in lessons so planning and prep take over a lot of our time.
    I prbably spend about the same amount of time marking as henriette and then the next 20 mins or so planning what to do next in the light of what I see in books linked to the scheme of work.

4. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Admin support...I wish! (although occasionally I get my form cutting things up for me on a morning)
    This is the thing though - however many resources I have already, because I'm planning for a specific group, I usually need at the very least to adapt my resources to suit the group and what they need to do, and often I end up having to create resources more or less from scratch because the things I've used before wouldn't suit the group I'm teaching.

5. I would in no way imply that others might be worse off than MFL teachers. However during the years that I taught ICT my life was dominated by marking. At least the amount of work produced by the individual students in MFL is self limiting.
    In ICT each student spews out huge quantities of work. The sheer bulk and weight of what has to be marked is extraordinary. The need to keep the work organised meant it all had to be kept together.
    I was shocked at how poor much of the English was. Having never marked much English before, I found myself correcting the English almost as much as in MFL.
    This was compensated for because the actual lessons were easier to plan.

6. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I would agree generally with henriette, although A-Level marking takes longer with largish groups. Similarly high ability Y9-Y11 groups can produce large amounts of composition work, which is mainly what we set the most able.
    The marking load is toughest, I suspect, for English and history teachers with all those essays. Maths may be pretty bad too.
    It is sometimes said that teachers spend too long marking and not enough time preparing. I must say I always do marking before prep on a Sunday morning.