1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What proportion of my pension will my husband get when I die?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by flowerswalks, Jan 4, 2019.

1. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Again with the caveat that I'm not an expert but did look into all of this when myself and my wife stopped working - we are both deferred members at the moment.

The pension does not die with the wife (or husband).

For those dying before their normal retirement age the 'out of service death grant' is 3/80ths of average salary multiplied by number of qualifying years.

and

2.25 times the accrued pension for career average benefits.

(these take the place of the lump sum payment that would normally be taken when you start taking the old style pension)

The survivor gets, for every year of qualifying service, 1/160th of the final salary pension and 37.5% of the career average pension. If a significant part of the wife's years of qualifying service is prior to 1988 then clearly the spouse is not going to get very much.

These are shown on the benefit statement page on the TPS site.

If ALL of the wife's service is prior to 1988 then I guess it does die with her...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Interesting, diddydave. Is it the same if the person was under 60? Is there any actuarial reduction?

3. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

No, the family benefits are independent and calculated as noted above...and paid for life of the survivor. Surprised I don't see more stories of young nurses marrying old teachers in the nursing homes ;P - perhaps we could suggest it as a way of helping out the NHS? (Sarcasm warning!)

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  4. SingToAng

SingToAng New commenter

What if you are not married but living together? Does your partner receive the same benefits as he would if you were married?

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Married or civil partnership but not just living together, as far as I know.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think this was changed recently as taken from the website:

Partners
    If you’re in a relationship but not married or in a civil partnership, your partner can receive a long-term survivor’s pension if you have pensionable service on or after 1 January 2007. Any pension that is payable will be based solely on service from 1 January 2007 onwards, unless you made an election to make prior service eligible by paying family benefit contributions in respect of it. In order to qualify for a survivor’s pension other conditions must be met, as set out below, for a continuous period of at least two years immediately prior to your death:

1. You were able to marry or form a civil partnership with your partner;
    2. You and your partner were living with each other as if you were a married couple or civil partners;
    3. Neither you or your partner were living with a third person as if they were a married couple or civil partners; and
    4. You and your partner were financially interdependent or your partner was financially dependent on you.
    Teachers’ Pensions will require your partner to provide evidence of the above qualifying conditions in order for a long-term survivor’s pension to be paid to them. We recommend you complete a partner nomination form so that we know about your relationship, but it’s not a mandatory requirement for the payment of benefits.

If a Death Grant nomination has not been completed the Death Grant will also be payable to your partner on the proviso the same conditions as set out above are met. However, as the conditions do not apply where a nomination has been made, you may wish to inform us of your wishes by completing a Death Grant Nomination.

Where a nomination hasn’t been made and there is no survivor’s pension to be paid (i.e. the qualifying criteria for an unmarried partner has not been met) the Death Grant will be paid to the estate of the deceased member.

7. SingToAng

SingToAng New commenter

Thanks Catmother. I started in 1988 so seems like a lot to lose between then and 2007!

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You could get married?

9. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Yes, but if you get married or enter a civil partnership then (so long as you survive for another 2 years I believe) they would get it.

catmother likes this.
  10. SingToAng

SingToAng New commenter

Been there done that......didn’t think i’d Go there again!

11. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Does it not say on your benefit statement. It does on mine, very clearly.

catmother likes this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I have asked for a quote from TP and the sum is certainly less than half. The 1988 rule affects mine. At least we know now, but it is news to me. I'm glad this thread was started.

eljefeb90 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  13. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I’m glad you now have the correct information, Lindenlea. That kind of difference could affect your spending plans and at least you now know. I wonder how many other women are unaware of this.

14. diddydave

diddydave Lead commenter

Being morbid about it, it's more likely to affect their husbands...

Piranha likes this.
  15. copperbeech

copperbeech New commenter

Back in the eighties my female colleagues and I all wrote letters to our MPs complaining about the situation but didn't get very far. Our union rep encouraged us all to pay for the years pre-1988 to be taken into account. (I started in 1977.) I couldn't see this anywhere on my benefit statement, so contacted TPS and they reasssured me that they had a record of the payments, fortunately. At the time it seemed like a lot of money to pay (for something I should have been getting all along) but I am now very relieved I did so and very grateful to our union rep for her advice.

emerald52 likes this.