1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What PGCE, GTP and BEd students want for Christmas is . . .

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by TheoGriff, Dec 17, 2010.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What PGCE, GTP and BEd students want for Christmas is . . . a guaranteed job for September to begin their induction year.
    But it’s looking as though it will be harder to get than ever.
    Your Course Tutors and mentors have probably told you all the gruesome details about the teaching job market, so I’ll just give a summary here.
    Fewer jobs. 15% fewer jobs have been advertised September-November this year compared with last. Some schools are going through redundancy for staff, mainly in secondary where there are falling pupil rolls. Primary has increasing pupil numbers, but a vast over-supply of teachers. The latest government spending plans (a standstill in funding which will turn out to be a fall, and an announced cut in Sixth Form funding) may mean more redundancies to come.
    More teachers looking for these jobs. Normally by the end of the year, about 15% of that summer’s NQT cohort are still not in inductible jobs. For the summer 2010 NQTs, this figure is over 50%. Of the summer 2009 NQTs, over a third are still looking for posts to do their induction year. And now from January there will be your cohort, the 2011 NQTs, out there jobseeking too. The situation has never been this bad before for student teachers.
    Cases of advertisements attracting 200+ applicants are now giving way to tales of 300+.
    Fewer jobs, more applicants. So how do you increase your chances of getting one of those highly-desirable induction year posts? Here's the six step plan.
    1. Set up a TES JobAlert here on the Forum so that you hear about all the right jobs and apply
    2. Investigate NQT pools, including closing dates, and apply to those
    3. Go to the Independent forum, open the Welcome thread, and read the guidance there about the independent sector to see if it could be right for you. Yes, you can do your induction there. With such intense competition, it makes sense to consider all the sectors.
    4. Read all the advice on the JobSeekers Welcome thread, especially the Shortlisting clickables, and follow it exactly - other posters have discovered that doing this brings them interviews
    [/b]
    And Heads appreciate applications that do what I say:
    [/b]
    5. When called for an interview, prepare intelligently - read the clickables on interviews inside the JobSeekers Welcome thread.
    6. If all else fails, or you are really getting desperate, then you may need to consider investing money in getting advice from the appointment professionals: The TES Careers Advice service. There are three possibilities here for you.
    a) If you really have no idea how to set about writing an effective application, or if your applications are not getting you interviews, then they need to be sharpened. A personal one-to-one with me, TheoGriff, or Prof John Howson, where we would sit down with you and talk through your application, show you how to produce an executive summary, could help here and give you the edge over other candidates.
    b) If you get interviews, but cannot get the job, then perhaps you should consider the longer session, a half day, where we can look at your application as above, and also give you personal interview training.
    c) Or you might like to come to a half-day seminar where you would be in a group of 18-20 people, looking in general at how to write a killer application, draft an executive summary, and how to win at interview. The next one is on Saturday 8th January.
    Think that you can’t afford it? But just work it out. If you get a job at M1, then according to Tafkam's pay calculator, you should be taking home about £1,330 a month (£1,626 Inner London). Seems to me that this is well worth having, rather than being on JSA or benefits . . . so see it as an investment to increase your chances of having that take-home pay.
    And starting your induction year.
    Here's what other posters have said:
    <h3 style="margin:auto 0cm;"> <u> </u><u>Dear Theo I got the job!</u><u> </u></h3><h3 style="margin:auto 0cm;"> <u>Theo's 'One to One' careers service.... </u></h3>But do read the Welcome thread on JobSeekers and get the free advice first!

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

BUMP.
    And don't forget what I said above - most independent schools also offer statutory induction, giving you the full qualification once you have completed the year satisfactorily so that you can teach in either maintained or independent schools.
    Go to the Independent Forum, open the Welcome thread there are read about the sector to see if it might be right for you.
    Happy JobHunting to you all in the New Year!
    Welcome: the Independent Schools&rsquo; Guide and FAQs

Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School ____________________________________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars, one-to-one career advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bump - ready for the new jobs about to be advertised this week.