1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What percentage of your weekly staff meetings are awful?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by WB, May 9, 2017.

1. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I can never remember coming away from any INSET being any the wiser: usually just despondent at having more, pointless work foisted upon me by the 'new initiative', which has just been 'explained' to me. A few times, I have come out of a training session completely confused as to what was under discussion. At one training day, at a Teachers' Centre, I met someone I knew in the queue for the coffee machine, who greeted me by saying, "What the **** is this all about."

schoolsout4summer and dunnocks like this.
  2. LovelyLou

LovelyLou New commenter

In my recent school we don't have staff meetings. We have a morning briefing and weekly training sessions. This equates in the lowly teacher literally having no voice, not even a whisper. Briefings consist of being told off for things we should have done & the odd pain in the butt middle manager also moaning about what we haven't done (just to draw attention to themselves & big themselves up in front of SLT). Training is a member of SLT droning on about something we should be doing & showing us where on the staff shared drive the pointless bit of paperwork is, or similar from a middle manager. Occasionally we get an hour and a half "twilight" which is usually boring & badly presented!
    I actually miss the good old weekly meetings where some staff felt the need to chime in and contest what was being said or offer their opinions and ideas. We literally are made to just sit there like the children & listen & as I said more often than not we are being told about the latest SIP visit or accreditation we are going for and what we MUST do.. no discussion, no nothing.. just a dictatorship!!

dunnocks likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We actually have too few staff meetings and we don't have "proper" INSET days either.

We have two very short briefings, an occasional department or year team meeting and that's that.

4. drek

drek Star commenter

Jolly Roger someone at our school has definitely red your #53 post.

We were informed we have to do something similar next month....explained in the manner of the person you described. Heh heh.

Apparently the policy came through last week from 'the body' responsible.

5. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

You have my sympathy, @drek! Over the last ten years or so, it as if a Pandora's Box of, potentially dangerous, idiots had been let loose in school managements. Unlike the original Pandora's Box there is not even hope as a consolation, only hopelessness.

peggylu likes this.
  6. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

We have our main staff briefing during a lunch hour once a week. I've managed to arrange it so I'm on duty then.

Livin' the dream...

sabrinakat and Shedman like this.
  7. singinintherain

singinintherain New commenter

Not only are our meetings absolute tripe, but our CPD sessions are not CPD sessions. We've had no training at all this year in my current school. Last week's CPD session was based on detailing everyday until the end of the academic year. It lasted an hour. It was another 'you could send us this in an email' session.

peggylu likes this.
  8. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I've found it quite interesting being an outsider-ish looking in at various schools this year as a trainee. Every school has had a meeting at least each week. One school's was really short with a focus for each week and a "We will be done by half 4" glare from the HT. One school only allowed for ONE meeting per week (so staff/phase alternated weeks) plus a lunchtime briefing. Another school I feel has been excessive. Phase every two weeks (finishes at 5pm), staff every week (finishes at 5pm) and then a lunchtime meeting the day after to repeat everything that was said in staff meeting. A lot of them seem to be for the sake of meeting. The HT hasn't been to any in the whole time I've been there and the deputies take it in turns.

I've been to more meetings in this placement that my boyfriend has all year at his school. He's had five. This whole academic year. His HT doesn't like to waste time so there's a weekly bulletin that goes up in the staffroom and staff meetings are only for situations where there's discussion to be had.

jarndyce likes this.
  9. lulu57

lulu57 Lead commenter

I went back to my old school as a supply teacher today. At the end of the day, one of the TAs asked me if there was a staff meeting (- she'd obviously forgotten I wasn't there permanently any more). I had the greatest of pleasure in telling her I had no idea, before waltzing out the door, looking smug.
    Dontcha just hate me?! :D

Alldone likes this.
  10. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Why are staff going to lunchtime meetings?

Anonymity likes this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Because 'free' time does not exist for teachers. Whatever spare time you may have is, by rights, the property of SLT for them to summon you or do with you as they will. Go down to your local solicitor and ask if they'll give up their lunch hour for a free consultation.

12. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I've not asked - shouldn't rock the boat.. Being a student and all.

13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

The boat's got a massive hole in it mate. Get out now while you still can!

Anonymity likes this.