1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What percentage of your weekly staff meetings are awful?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by WB, May 9, 2017.

1. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The 'learning hub' meetings where some new shiny initiative is wheeled out because a member of SLT has been on a course about it. Presented by a young, thrusting member of staff who sounds jolly enthusiastic and sincere and only doing this to kiss SLT ar *e but behind the eyes you can see they think it's just a load of old sh *te just like the rest of us.

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Your are as bigger cynical as I am, @Shedman.

3. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Meetings when the Chosen Ones are invited to tell yhe rest of us how to be outstanding practitioners. Not one of them has more than 5 years experience and as many of us have been invited to observe their amazing lessons we know they are actually rubbish.

4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Thirty two years in the classroom and the same old ideas and initiatives resurface regularly but are dressed up in edu-speak and jargon and given a bit of a 'twist'. I am still listening to the same old drivel about raising attainment, improving motivation and improving behaviour that I was hearing 30 years ago.

5. drek

drek Star commenter

Everyone's favourite meeting has to be the OFSTEd is here tomorrow or after the weekend ANNOUNCEMENT meeting.

Grim expressions, clipboards to hand, SLT at the front eyeballing staff.

LISTS of things each SLT member wants to see.

Detailed long winded Instructions about how to write an OFSTEd perfect lesson plan

Activities to be added on, cut out etc etc.

Grill grill grill by the class clowns.

After an hour and a half of mind numbing gibberish at the end of a full day of teaching some of us have to go home and prepare for a full next day of teaching in a completely exhausted state of mind.

It's about as motivating as being asked to bungee jump without a rope.

6. Jolly_Roger1

@Shedman: I put in 34 years and I agree with you entirely. You sit in meetings thinking, "I heard this rubbish twenty years ago, and it didn't work then." Years ago, we just let all the nonsense blow over our heads and got on with our jobs. Nowadays, it means endless, time-consuming paperwork and box-ticking, and yet another stick with which the SMT can beat us.

7. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

You Philistine!

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The Philistines were actually a cultured people who developed language, building and engineering skills and a society that was able to raise an army, train it and keep it supplied when on active service. The only reason why Philistines have a bad press is because the Jews were at war with them but The Bible does not make clear why they were fighting (Samuel 17). As with all wars, it is the victors who write the history so if you want to brag about how good you were it doesn't hurt to chuck in some stuff about how bad, stupid and uncultured the other lot was. I take being called a Philistine as a compliment. Thank you.

sabrinakat, tosh740 and peggylu like this.
  9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I'm not sure I've ever been to a meeting (or INSET for that matter) where I haven't thought "You could have e-mailed the key points, which I could have read in five minutes."

peggylu and Shedman like this.
  10. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

Whilst teaching, 100%. Now I'm not teaching, we don't waste our time with weekly meetings.

cb324, hammie and Shedman like this.
  11. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

If anything, I found things were worse when I worked in the software industry - if a release was behind schedule we'd start having meetings to see why and what we could do about it, wasting several person-days that would be better sent on fixing things.

12. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Since I left teaching I have had a number of meetings none of which have been a waste of time. All have been helpful.

Reckon that many teaching meetings are about showboating and having meetings for the sake of it.

peggylu likes this.
  13. Jolly_Roger1

Good heavens! That sounds exactly like teaching, having long meetings, which result in additional workload, leaving you less time to tackle your already ludicrous workload. The management response to this is often to have yet more meetings to give you useless suggestions on how to 'manage your workload'.

drek, schoolsout4summer and Anonymity like this.
  14. smurphy6

smurphy6 Senior commenter

Ditto. After Twenty four years teaching I've decided it's like fashion - it all comes round again as the next 'new' fad! Thinking hats anyone! What type of learner are you? (for the sixth time). Meetings are by and large a waste of time.

drek and schoolsout4summer like this.
  15. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

one school i worked out used to mention how much each meeting had cost. Maybe that should be the first item n the agenda every time. Along the lines of, "there are 30 of us sitting here for an hour, lets charge an hourly rate of £20 each, so this meeting is costing £600, is it worth that or shall we all go and do something more cost effective?

sabrinakat, Kartoshka, bonxie and 2 others like this.
  16. Jolly_Roger1

You have hit the nail on the head. To some SMTs, teachers' time is of no value to them, and they regard as an infinite resource.

drek, Kartoshka and schoolsout4summer like this.
  17. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

As I told my last Head, there's nothing cheaper than a teacher's time.

drek and Kartoshka like this.
  18. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

Our meetings are o.k. We only have them when we need them for a specific purpose.
    However, I recently attended a training day where I had to pretend to be a Martian. Then I had to give written feedback of how my teaching will improve as a result of this experience. The trainer wasn't a teacher.

drek likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

The problem with staff meetings in some schools is that not all staff attend and not all staff speak. And some hts Senior Managers are included in that.

Sadly, they have now become more of a 'listening exercise'. If some were graded the way lessons are - some would be given an RI....

20. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

About 15 years ago I attended a wonderful "day out" in Glastonbury town hall. There were all the teachers there from all over the LEA. It was wonderful. Great surroundings, a scrumptiously delicious buffet and a talk by an interesting, widely acclaimed education commentator/adviser. No expense spared - honestly it was great. You should have been there!
    What was it all about? No idea. Can't remember

drek and Alldone like this.