1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What PE Net Games do you play in KS1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by butterbeer, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Just interested to know what equipment you have in KS1 for playing net games in PE. We don't have any nets and end up hitting airflow balls over lines with plastic rackets (bats) etc, which isn't ideal. We need something easy to put up and down and I thought it might be something we could use Sainsburys sports vouchers for.
    Thanks

2. anyone?

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. Msz

I've tried to reply but it says my post has to be moderated for this forum???[​IMG]Post Pending Moderation
    You have posted to a forum that requires a moderator to approve posts before they are publicly available.
    If the administrator has configured this forum to support email notifications you will receive an email when your post is either approved or denied (if you have emails enabled in your profile).
    Return to the Primary forum

5. Hi Msz
    Thanks for that.Those links are useful.
    I have been focussing on developing the skills and have been using different strategies as the link suggests, but I felt that the notion of net games should, at some point include using some actual nets, particularly in Year 2, so I was wondering whether others used nets, or just used lines, targets etc. Sounds like the nets themselves isn't strictly necessary then, more the concept of a net!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't teach outdoor PE at my school, but am fairly sure I've never ever seen anyone using a net in their lessons in any year group.

I used a badminton 'net' (piece of string stretched across at the right height) a couple of years ago with year 5 in indoor PE, but that's all.

I think if children are going to play tennis type games and understand a net, then having an actual net is a nice idea. But possibly not essential.

7. Thanks for the feedback. I have seen them use nets in KS2, but to be honest our PE Games teaching in KS1 leaves something to be desired. Not much variety and I find it dull, so I'm sure the children must do too! I'll have a poke around in the PE shed to see what might be lurking about.

8. Msz

In KS1 it is normally about teaching the skills they will need to play net games rather than playing the game. Not many 5 /6/7 year olds can hit a ball back to a partner so they spend more time chasing stray balls than playing. Using a wall offers a chance to build skills.
    If my post ever turns up there are some links to ideas.