1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What Pay point would I start on?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Muttley_in_the_Midlands, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

I am hoping to study on the GTP next year. I understand that I will be paid as an unqualified teacher during that year, presumably at the first point on that scale.
    It has been mentioned that because I have a Masters degree in my subject I may be able to start on a higher pay point than M1 when I qualify. Is this the case? If so, at what point?
    Thanks

2. DM

DM New commenter

Unlikely. What's your subject?

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Highly unlikely. Used to happen I believe, but there are so many unemployed teachers out there that priority 1 when you qualify will be getting a job. With so many NQTs out here it's highly unlikely you'll get any higher than M1.

4. Muttley_in_the_Midlands

Muttley_in_the_Midlands New commenter

Well of course it will!
    The reason for my question was because it had been mentioned that any teacher would be unemployable because of having a Masters. A Masters degree means a higher pay point by a couple of points and therefore why would a headteacher pay that when they can get another teacher cheaper.
    That was the point that was made and I wasn't sure whether the pay point differential was really true

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Nope somebody has misunderstood. In days gone by, if you had a masters in a shortage subject such as physics or maths and wated to apply to a difficult school, then you may have been offered a higher paypoint to recruit and keep you. Now a days there will be no such offers and you will start on M1 the September after you pass the GTP. You will certainly not be disadvantaged in applying for posts.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think the confusion is that others thought you were ASKING for a higher starting point because of your Masters when actually you are worried that a Masters would mean a higher starting point which would then count against you! Be reassured ( if that's the correct word!) that a Masters would not automatically mean you would HAVE to start on a higher pay point, you can quite legitimately be given M1 just like any other degree level candidate, so you have a level playing field to begin with!

7. becky70

becky70 New commenter

It doesn't - they can still pay you on M1. It's unlikely a school would offer you more than M1 in these difficult times.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Not necessarily. I've known GTP candidates being paid much higher on the Unqualified scale.
    I've even known of unqualified teachers, not on GTP, being paid at a point on the Unqualified scale that is higher than M1 on the Qualified scale.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/salary/unqualified-teacher-pay-scales.aspx
    When you ar4e qualified, you should look at the next point on the unqualified scale as that is what you would be expecting to be paid in Yr2 had you not been on the GTP and had remained unqualified. Any school employing you then has to pay you at least the point on the M scale that is above the unqualified rate you would be entitled to.
    You can, of course, negotiate a higher starting point but your chances of doing so will depend on how much of a shortage subject you are offering and whether you are ina shortage area of the country.