1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What pastry for mince pies?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Waterfin, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I've always used a bog standard shortcrust pastry made with fat, flour and water. It is nice and the mince pies always disappear quickly, but I just feel that they could be nicer. I roll the pastry quite thin and it goes very crisp rather than crumbly in the cooking. They are lovely when warmed through and served with cream but seem too dry to just eat cold.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated, except those involving almondy flavours/ingredients.
    Thankyou.

2. I've always used a bog standard shortcrust pastry made with fat, flour and water. It is nice and the mince pies always disappear quickly, but I just feel that they could be nicer. I roll the pastry quite thin and it goes very crisp rather than crumbly in the cooking. They are lovely when warmed through and served with cream but seem too dry to just eat cold.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated, except those involving almondy flavours/ingredients.
    Thankyou.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I always use unsalted butter, a spoonful of icing sugar and an egg yolk, plus water if needed, to mix with.It's like a sweet short crust pastry, also nice when cold, don't roll too thin, or they may crumble.
    You can use all butter bought puff pastry, don't use the ordinary puff as this uses pastry fat which leaves a horrible cloying feel to your mouth.

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I use a very short pastry

in short its
    plain flour 300g
    butter 100g
    Trax 75g
    juice and zest of 1 orange
    caster sugar 75g

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

I am reliably informed that Bethannie's mother's pastry is the best, but I don't have the recipe!
    Maybe Beth with post it for us?

6. I tried shop bought all butter shortcrust pastry. It tasted nice enough, but I'm not buying it again. Not only was it a ridiculous price, but it was an absolute nightmare to roll out.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

8. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

Katie Stewart's is lovely: 275g plain flour, 25g ground almonds, 175gbutter, 75g icing sugar, finely grated rind of half a lemon, 1 egg yolk, 3 tablesp's milk.
    Sift flour, add g almonds. Add butter in pieces and rub in. Sift over icing sugar and add lemon rind, mix egg yolk with milk and stir into flour mix. Mix to rough dough in bowl and turn out and knead to remove cracks. Cover with upturned bowl and rest for 30 mins. Cook at 400/170fan/gas 6)

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My recipe is pretty simple - Sift 500g plain flour and 100g icing sugar into a processor, add 250g cold butter cut into cubes, add the zest of 1 clementine (optional but makes really, really tasty pastry for Christmas!) then pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add 2 beaten eggs and a splash of milk and pulse until it is all combined (it may appear to be a be a little bit soft but that is normal) Wrap it all in cling film and put it into the fridge for at least 45 mins. Never failed for me yet!