1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What parts of numeracy teaching do you 'shave off'?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sfm_81, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hello all,

I'm a Y3/4 NQT and I have a question that had been on my mind for a while now. Numeracy planning, I have 5 numeracy sessions per week all exactly 1 hour, but I just can't seem to keep it on schedule. For example, I'm planning and delivering block A2 at the moment and it's asking us to teach written methods for all 4 operations, in addition to solving number problems and spending time on developing mental skills, it's basically saying to teach a written method per operation per day - isn't that impossible?

Last week I spent 2 lessons on developing mental skills for addition and subtraction to 100 and 1000 and then 2 lessons just on addition written methods to make sure they understood it, no way I could have done subtraction too that week, they would have been confused.

So something has to give right? What is it? Is there something that you know they won't need to do 3 times over the year so you always leave it till the summer because they will find it easy? I hope you understand what I'm saying here, definitely in a bit of a mess about it.

Thank you for any help!

2. Advice that I was given by my head teacher was don't feel like you have to stick to the Numeracy Strategy - just teach your class what they need. As long as by the end of the year they can do what is required of them, and some will be able to do more, they will be fine.

3. Yes, it does. Find this with Year 2 particularly as the pace of the revised strategy is manic. What I do when pushed is focus a) on the key objectives for the year group and b) what they can't do, as someone else said. I try and fit some stuff into other lessons (so, for example, turns and angles/position we can cover in ICT when programming robots, or in Geography when doing maps/plans).
    But look at the KOs before deciding anything can go!

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Take a look at which bits you are expected to cover in all 3 units of the block. Some you are only expected to do in 1 and 3 for eg, some only in 2. Use this to guide you. If written methods for all 4 operations appears in all 3 units then pick their strongest and either do this first to get it out the way or save it til last since you know it won't need so much time.