1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What parental omissions are you guilty of?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by LaureRichis, Jun 16, 2011.

1. I came home from work today to find my 20 year old son on the computer.
    When I asked him what he was looking at he informed me that he was Googling 'How to Post a Letter'. Well you can imagine my shock that my clever son who is heading for a First in Physics wasn't clear on the logistics of posting a letter.
    He had googled the nearest post box and the cost of a stamp but I was somewhat abashed at my obvious gap in teaching my son basic common sense. To be fair the world is a different place, lots of emails and children don't run errands like children did when I was young, but really! having to google how to post a letter.
    Some months ago we had had a conversation in which I mentioned that my cousin was going to the Grand National. His response was 'Oh fab I love Blackpool!' Yes- he actually didn't know that there was a horse race of that name and thought I was talking about the fairground ride!
    Now I could blame myself -but I think I may have to go with the current trend of blaming teachers for everything!!
    Has anyone else been similarly caught out by their offsprings lack of knowledge on something that seems commonplace!

2. My 19 year old nephew came to live with us for part of the week last September, he is doing a college course at a local college and it made sense for him to be here. I showed him where he would catch the coach, which involved crossing the road outside our house. We live on a mainish road which is a steady stream of very slow traffic from about 8am-9am. It's not a problem to cross though and my children have been doing it for years! He looked at me and asked how he'd cross the road? I thought, yikes, do I need to say 'Look right, look left, look right again....' I pointed out that if he looked to the left there was a pedestrian crossing, with a lolly pop man for the primary school, which he could use, this involved walking about 400m in the wrong direction. For the first few weeks he crossed there in the morning and when he got back at 6pm when the road was empty!!

3. wordsworth

wordsworth Senior commenter

when my daughter first left home, she asked me 'how often should i clean the bath?' and i realised that she had never really done any cleaning before, muggins here has always done it all.[​IMG]

4. I can say that more than a few parents are guilty of not teaching kids how to do basics like tell time. A lot of my year 8 class look at me in confusion when I point to the clock on the wall, or show them my watch which are both analogue by the way.
    They freely admit that they cannot read time like that, hence the need to pull out the phone or Ipod to check the time digitally.
    Tell a kid it is 11:45 and they are fine. Tell them it is a quarter to twelve and see the look of incomprehension on their face...[​IMG]
    For a lot basic manners have gone out of the window too.
    As a pupil we had to move for teachers in the hallway, now a lot of students will just continue walking in a group 3 or 4 abreast and expect you to move for them.
    I was recently holding a cup of coffee and a student messing around knocked into me and was just going to walk off when I stopped him. He genuinely looked at me confused as to what he had done wrong and why I had stopped him. HE did not get that he had spilled hot coffee all over my hand and on my shirt and the least he could do was apologise, until I enlightened the young man.
    One I will never forget is a time we were doing a fun internet quiz to obvious questions such as "What Animal are the Canary Islands named after? or who lives at the Vatican?". One student puts up his hand and says that he cannot figure the vatican question out, despite having the entire internet at his fingertips he cannot find the answer. Obviously we helped him out. When I mentioned this to his parents some days later at parent teacher time his father looked genuinely unabashed when he said "Why should he know who lives at the vatican? he is not catholic..." ...Yikes! (lack of general knowledge or what!)
    And his father at that time was a Deputy Principal at another school.

5. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

I could tell you but I would die of shame...it is one of the pet hates of Early Years teachers, and an indicator of hopeless and inept parenting, and I didn't focus on it because I was having so many other battles with very stubborn son at the time.

6. wordsworth

ooo i want to know now..... did you forget to potty train your child??[​IMG]

7. Now I'm going to be brave here - when my children were at school their teachers taught those who couldn't tell the time to tell the time! Time telling was a big part of primary school teaching.There will be those who can tell the time before they start school but I would hope that it is still taught in school?

8. wordsworth

i remember personally being very slow to understand how to tell the time. I remember the teacher having a giant cardboard clock with moveable hands, but the poor woman had to keep going over it and over it with me. Anyway i must go and have my breakfast now hehe[​IMG]

9. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

Not quite : just managed that one. No, it was the knife and fork business...hangs head in shame...and me being Early Years trained too!

10. copycat

copycat Occasional commenter

My 11 year old cannot tie his shoe laces yet!
    My excuse is that he is left handed so I find it difficult to demonstrate and of course velcro fastenings are to blame too.[​IMG]

11. Are children expected to be able to use a knife and fork before they start school?!
    Surely it doesn't really affect much if they can't?

12. ditwee

ditwee New commenter

I've been involved in many discussions where the unpreparedness of children for Foundation has been lamented (along the lines of ...how dare they send them to school not knowing their full names, not toilet trained, not speaking properly AND not even able to use a knife and fork..) I usually keep quiet at these times being guilty of 2 and a half of those. And I was a stay at home mum of one at the time!

13. My children do not know how to darn socks.
    My daughter still has to think about how to spell her middle name (poor kid, I did give her a difficult Welsh one and her teachers cannot even spell it either).
    In fact, many of her teachers can't even spell her first name.

14. My babe telephoned when she was about 19 to ask me how to make a cup of tea. The plumber was fixing the washing machine and she had offered him a drink. And me a food teacher.

15. miss post is off to uni in september - now she has finished her a2's, her life is going to be one long round of learning to cook and clean
    and it ain't gonna be easy [​IMG]

16. LOL - that was one of the first things I taught my kids. Not because I wanted them to make me a cup of tea...of course [​IMG]

17. Master Sav has terrible trouble recognising the washing basket. I've spent many a happy hour explaining how to operate it. All to no avail; his clothes still seem to prefer lolling on the bedroom floor, hiding down the side of the bed and in the case of one rebellious sock, perching on top of the wardrobe.

18. Prince CQ can bring his clothes to the laundry basket after many years of rollicking about "socks don't walk without feet".
    He seems to not be able to put his laundry IN the basket. They are dumped IN FRONT of the basket.
    After asking him why it is so difficult, having gathered up his clothes and making his way TO the basket, to put his clothes IN the basket, I tend to get the answer "sorry, I forgot".
    I will never understand why those few inches make such a difference.

19. have that problem with all 3 of my co-habitees
    ditto leaving discarded crisp packets 6" from the living room bin

20. I used to shop at the supermarket used by Birmingham University students. It was a mistake to go shopping the Sunday before term started as it would be full of Mums teaching their sons how to shop. They then went to Frankie and Bennies for lunch.