1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what paperwork do inspectors want to see from class teachers?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by orangeshortbread, Mar 6, 2011.

1. So my first OFSTED is due and I'm not sure what the inspector will want to look at. I am a class teacher so will they want to see my planning file? WIll they look at books - all or just a few chosen at random?

My main concern is what other paperwork they will look at like will they want to see my assessment records or will that be an SLT thing? What else would they expect from class teachers?

2. So my first OFSTED is due and I'm not sure what the inspector will want to look at. I am a class teacher so will they want to see my planning file? WIll they look at books - all or just a few chosen at random?

My main concern is what other paperwork they will look at like will they want to see my assessment records or will that be an SLT thing? What else would they expect from class teachers?

3. When they observe lessons they generally just watch around 20-30 minutes of a lesson. It's useful if you have a plan ready to give them so they have an idea of what has already happened in the lesson and what is yet to come. I would also staple to the plan a little information about the class - a class list with SEN and G&T marked on with pupils' targets. Some teachers like to include a little information on each pupil.

4. Lesson plan essential to put whatever is seen into context. If you identify SEN/G&T etc, helpful to have a seating plan and ensure that differentition is obvious. Inspector will look at books and ask students about their work, targets etc.

5. typo - differentiation - sorry.

6. Spot on imateachertoo. Can't count how many times I've said the same thing.

7. Can't the inspector read the objectives on the board. Can't they work out when you say today we are going to do ........ As far as the levels pupil are working at, the inspector will be given a breakdown of the setting system with the appropriate letter and numbers that indicate top down to bottom
    To much emphasis is put on 'pleasing' the inspector with a ton of data, which they leave anyway, and pointing out 'look at this pupil and what wonderful progress they are making'. The inspector will look and smile and be thinking, 'what a *** what are they trying to hide'.
    Having been through loads of inspections, schools in SM and schools not in SM, and if you are nervous and worried, do an assessment or an extended piece of writing. Get the pupils to discuss in pairs and then individual writng, followed by peer assessment and presentation. Do the same sort of lesson for all the lessons for the two days and no problems. Remember they will only see you once in a Secondary.

8. Of course, you can do it that way.

Objectives on the board? Fine. No need to write them down separately.
    A list of levels pupils are working on? - Yes really helpful.
    A ton of data? No. who's going to read that when they are trying to observe a lesson.

Saying false things about pupils' progress? No of course not.

Nervous and worried so change the lesson so you don't give much for the observer to see but kids doing an assessment. That must be the worst advice anyone could give on this forum.

Pupils discussing in pairs, individual writing, peer assesment and presentation? Yes brilliant! Lots of evidence there to see about what pupils have learned over time and during the lesson.
    Calm down and just do a good lesson. Spend 2 minutes writing a note for the observer. You won't regret it.

9. And what happens if there is an assessment or a test due when the inspectors are in. You have primed the pupils for an assessmentor a test and then tell them no, we are doing something else. This was the advise to staff from one HT I worked under. Barmy. Cheating the pupils and 'putting on a show for Ofsted'. Did my assessment and was the only person, out of 7 observed by the lead inspector, who he said was fine.
    Some people get so nervous then they could play safe with an assessment or in other jargon an extended piece of writing, which the pupils discuss and write their individual responses.

10. Meant to put one HT advised us not to do an assessment.

11. Good to see your advice imateachertoo. My experience...no matter what appears in the plan, they judge the 'snapshot' they see, so if they don't see progress you get inadequate in that 20 mins whatever is in your plan. We are awaiting another Ofsted inspection to decide whether we go into Special Measures. Have decided not to provide all the paperwork this time. Think it has little impact on the decision they have made before they arrive. Most disillusioned by the whole experience.

12. Understand how you feel alfiecat. Very little paperwork is actually required for inspections these days though. Most of the tracking information is dealt with in interviews since there isn't the time in 2 days to look through reams of paper. Also, decisions are definitely not made prior to the visit, although the lead inspector will make hypotheses on the pre-inspection briefing. The one judgement that can be predicted fairly well prior to visit is attainment, which has to take into account three years of data.
    I understand what you mean, but people might panic when they read that. An inadequate judgement is quite a serious thing and inspectors don't give it out lightly, and there's no way it would happen after a 20 minute observation unless there is a 'trigger' such as a health and safety risk or a gross misconduct issue. Often, the evidence is looked over by another inspector before an inadequate judgement is fed back, just to make sure it is right. If there's any doubt a grade 3 is given.
    The official line is that you shouldn't do anything different to what is usual when there is an inspection on. That's true...in the main. However, if I think the content of lessons during an inspection won't show me off in the best light, I'm probably going to alter them a little!

13. We were put in Special Measures, but it seemed like it was pre-determined because our, 'boys were underachieving'. What made me laugh, and cringe, was the snotty nosed Ofsted lead inspector, who at our meeting said, 'we are worried about white working class boys underachieving'. This was nearly 2 years ago when it was in the news about white people listening to the BNP. Don't hear so much today about white working class boys underachieving. No longer a hot political potato, so to speak.
    No wonder you are disillusioned. In my experience it was our SMT that took their eye of the ball and we have paid the consequence. What is worse they have tried to pile on the workload. I decide I was going to do less than I did before and it has worked. Decide for yourself, as you are the professional, what you need not what others are telling you you need.
    Work smarter, which generally less. That's helped me cope with Special Measures.

14. Since our Ofsted inspection, many colleagues were singled out and given inadequate grades. Many more were labelled as satisfactory and of course were told this was not good enough - indeed the Head cited these teachers as 'weakness' in the system. I think the general feeling amongst our staff is that an outstanding lesson is the rarity and a good lesson saves your bacon. I am satisfactory and proud. Stopped trying to please the grown ups a few months ago.
    If the official line is that we do not do anything different then I'm all for that. I do not wish to be shown off in any special light. I want to do my job to the best of my ability in the time that I am given. Like I said.....Satisfactory.

15. Alfiecat describes quite a common situation - a feeling of resignation in a school where senior leaders could probably do a lot more to be supportive of its teaching force.
    Teaching is a difficult job. It is possible to be a good teacher in a school that hasn't created the circumstances for pupils to learn effectively, and that teacher will not be able to be successful. In another school they could be a star performer.

An example would be an ineffective behaviour management policy. As Jamie's Dream School has demonstrated, unless pupils are prepared to behave respectfully and participate in lessons, then learning is a non-starter. Yet there are many lessons taking place every day in schools which are about one person trying to create order when outnumbered by 30 mouthy, inattentive pupils.
    It is a top priority for school leaders to create the climate in a school where learning can take place. It starts with values and ethos. It is supported by the consistent application of procedures. Leaders need to be out and about ensuring that everything is done to make it possible for teachers to do their best. Supporting good teaching is what good leadership is about.
    Once that is done the rest is up to individual teachers. Every teacher needs to be familiar with the criteria used by inspectors to judge a good lesson. If a teacher is ensuring that every pupil is making appropriate progress then they will probably be exhibiting good teaching.
    Satisfactory is OK. It satisfies. But on balance, a teacher should expect to aim to do quite a few lessons that would be judged as good, as well. The point is that we shouldn't always blame ourselves if circumstances make it difficult to achieve the standards we set for ourselves.