1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What other jobs can you do with a PGCE?!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by babyblue06, Apr 26, 2006.

1. I'm coming to the end of my secondary History PGCE (hurrah-the end is in sight!) and starting to apply for jobs.

However, there aren't that many jobs available yet in the location i want to work in. Ive also found the PGCE really difficult, and feel im quite weak in the classroom. Since doing the PGCE though, it has reinforced by desire to to work with young people but im starting to re-consider whether teaching is the career for me. If im going to find the NQT year just as difficult, i would consider taking some time out before deciding whether to look for a teaching job. How long after gaining your PGCE do you have to complete your induction year?

Ive got an MA in History as well as a history degree so with a PGCE i guess i will be fairly well qualified, but because all ive ever wanted to do is teach i don't really know what other jobs are out there! My partner tells me that i seem to think that if im not a teacher, there are no other challenging and rewarding jobs out there and to an extent, i think he's right... teaching, or behind the counter at Woolworths! (not that working in a shop is a bad thing, but its just not for me)

Can anyone tell me what other jobs are out there where it would be an advantage to have a PGCE and involve working with young people? Im not in a financial position to take any more training after June unless it is on the job training.

In the future id love to teach abroad, but have heard that this is not a good idea until you have completed your NQT year?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated - i am fast starting to panic about my prospects after June, at the moment the fate that awaits me is being homeless, jobless and penniless!

Thanks

xxx

2. I'm coming to the end of my secondary History PGCE (hurrah-the end is in sight!) and starting to apply for jobs.

However, there aren't that many jobs available yet in the location i want to work in. Ive also found the PGCE really difficult, and feel im quite weak in the classroom. Since doing the PGCE though, it has reinforced by desire to to work with young people but im starting to re-consider whether teaching is the career for me. If im going to find the NQT year just as difficult, i would consider taking some time out before deciding whether to look for a teaching job. How long after gaining your PGCE do you have to complete your induction year?

Ive got an MA in History as well as a history degree so with a PGCE i guess i will be fairly well qualified, but because all ive ever wanted to do is teach i don't really know what other jobs are out there! My partner tells me that i seem to think that if im not a teacher, there are no other challenging and rewarding jobs out there and to an extent, i think he's right... teaching, or behind the counter at Woolworths! (not that working in a shop is a bad thing, but its just not for me)

Can anyone tell me what other jobs are out there where it would be an advantage to have a PGCE and involve working with young people? Im not in a financial position to take any more training after June unless it is on the job training.

In the future id love to teach abroad, but have heard that this is not a good idea until you have completed your NQT year?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated - i am fast starting to panic about my prospects after June, at the moment the fate that awaits me is being homeless, jobless and penniless!

Thanks

xxx

3. You can postpone your induction indefinitely - provided you don't hit the 4-term supply limit. You will never lose your QTS or PGCE, and without ever doing your induction, you can teach in private schools, abroad or as private tutor.
    As for your career option outside of schools, your teaching experience and qualification will be useful in other training settings such as in the Armed Forces and industry. EDucation officer in museums and tourist sights, and local authority can provide opportunities through social services and children and young people's department. With your MA, teaching in higher education is a possibility, as well as FE and Sixth form colleges. Then there is education support industry such as publishing, ICT (hard and software) and resources.
    If you look at Unemployed teachers forum, there is regular discussion of career choice beside teaching.

4. Thanks for your posting Alec. I have considered supply teaching before i decide whether to apply for a permanent post - if you do the maximum four terms, am I right in thinking that you have to then pass induction year before you can teach anywhere else?

5. Chevrefeuille - tried to email you on the address you posted but it bounced back to me. Would be really grateful to receive your booklet! My email add is his0jll@leeds.ac.uk

Thanks

x

6. Hi there

I know loads of people with PGCEs who've gone on to do interesting jobs. It certainly seems to help with lots of careers. My background is in museums and heritage, which is about 10 times more competitive than finding a teaching job (because most towns only have one museum, but dozens of schools!) but fantastic and great if you're into history. Nearly all museums insist their education officers are qualified teachers. The main place to look for jobs in that industry is www.le.ac.uk/museumstudies and click on the jobs desk. I also know ex teachers who work as arts officers, for environmental charities coordinating school projects, with creative partnerships etc.etc.

Good luck!

Clara

7. Chevrefeuille could I be cheeky and get a copy of that booklet too.

giblet78@gmail.com

many thanks :eek:)

8. Hi all,

The email address I gave should have worked so long as you get rid of the "getridofthisbit" part and don't get all the e,i,l&us muddled up ;)

Will send to those who have posted their addie here.

Agree that leicester's museum jobs board is the place (have friend in museums who told me this). Also try www.museumjobs.com though.

And for these & other education-related jobs that aren't all secondary teaching per se you could try local authority websites directly (there's a list in the back of one of the unions' getting-your-first-post booklet I forget which one). Then there is educaion-jobs.co.uk, www.sector1.net, www.jobs.ac.uk, www.fejobs.com, and my jobcentre (and the website for jobcentre whose url I forget) had some for tutoring in adult ed recently. You could also try contacting publishers of academic text books (although they are quite competitive) and examining boards (examinerrecruitment.org).

HTH

9. Hi, I feel that I must clear a few things up here. There is a time limit of 5 years - to work in the public sector you must have completed and passed your NQT within this time limit. However, it is true that you can work with an agency, become a tutor or work in the independant sector. However, if you feel that you are weak in the classroom perhaps teaching is not for you or it may just be that you haven't found the right school for you. Have ypu thought about teaching abroad - perhaps in an international British school? What about in the independant sector where behavioural problems claim to be fewer? Other options include post-16 education, special schools such as Priory (EBD) and usually less than 10 pupils in a class and social work / youth workers etc.
    Just a few ideas to mill over.

10. The 5 year limit only applies to those who have already started Induction. As previously pointed out, there is also a limit of 4 terms' supply before Induction must be started.

So, somewhat bizarrely, as long as you have not begun Induction at all, there is technically no limit as to when you may begin. Not sure it would be a brilliant idea to wait 10 years or so, though!

x

11. darkness

darkness New commenter

Actually I have just been informed that there is indeed a five year limit from the date you finish the PGCE. If you don't teach the necessary amount by then you have to do the course again.

12. darkness

darkness New commenter

I take it back, I don't know whay our tutors told us that. I will have a word with them the *******. You are right in that QTS is yours for good and the countdown don't start until you start supply. Wooooohoooooooo.

So there is an option after all of taking time out.

13. No there isn't!
    You'll never lose your PGCE or QTS - it's yours for life whether you ever do induction or not.
    Induction is necessary for teaching in maintained (state) schools, after you've exhausted your short-term supply limit and any extension (max. 12 months).
    5 years is the time you are expected to complete your induction once you embark on it - which can be extended for valid reasons.
    All this is from the official government document in http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/professionaldevelopment/induction/guidance/

14. I'm starting to think about this too. Its not that I am weak in the classroom or don't like teaching, I'm just getting fed up with going to interview and being told 'you just missed out' or 'we were impressed with your interview'. Getting a teaching job seems like a total lottery - and science is supposed to be a shortage subject!!

15. want the booklet?

16. brinda_maddur

brinda_maddur New commenter

17. Hi...um can I have a copy of the booklet as well please? I'm not sure if I want to start supply work straight away and despite DT being a 'shortage' subject (In England that is...Wales is a desert as far as DT is concerned) I have not had a sniff of a job that is in the right area...and before you suggest I move to england I'm pinned to south wales by my family...

my e add is the_furry_mob@tiscali.co.uk and I would appreciate it ever so, ever so much...

18. Chevrefeuille, could I jump on the bandwaggon and ask for a copy of that leaflet too?

ruecatinat@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks