1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What other jobs can teachers do?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ezzie, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Wasn't sure where to post this but I'm feeling totally **** and disillusioned with the job. Fed up of working all hours trying to do my best yet it's never quite good enough. Sorry, this is sounding like a rant, and I suppose it is but I feel like crying all the time, dread coming in to work, have tried to talk to HT about it but he doesn't like anyone rocking the boat. I know I'm a good teacher in many ways but the goal posts are being continually moved so I feel like it's one step forward and two back. I've been looking at jobs but none I've seen seem to ask for skills of a teacher. So is this it, then? Has anyone escaped and made a new and less demanding/stressful change? Can't bear the thought of doing this until I'm 68! Any thoughts, anyone?

2. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

Wasn't sure where to post this but I'm feeling totally **** and disillusioned with the job. Fed up of working all hours trying to do my best yet it's never quite good enough. Sorry, this is sounding like a rant, and I suppose it is but I feel like crying all the time, dread coming in to work, have tried to talk to HT about it but he doesn't like anyone rocking the boat. I know I'm a good teacher in many ways but the goal posts are being continually moved so I feel like it's one step forward and two back. I've been looking at jobs but none I've seen seem to ask for skills of a teacher. So is this it, then? Has anyone escaped and made a new and less demanding/stressful change? Can't bear the thought of doing this until I'm 68! Any thoughts, anyone?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

There's a few threads on the unemployed forum about alternate careers.
    Sorry to hear your not having a good time x

4. snap Ezzie, teaching for 10 yeras too and really looking for something different.
    Maybe I do need to move schools as someone suggested, been in teh same one for my career and a new head has turned it into an unrecognisable place, and not for the better.

5. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

Changing schools is a good idea, or learn how to play the bureaucrats against themselves. As you say, they often have no idea and just want lines, graphs and statistics. What I did, and I admit it is risky, is start writing plans that were full of rubbish and nowhere near what I intended to do - my goal there was to stop using 3 hours on them, use 30 minutes. So just wrote waffle. I never received one comment back beyond 'well done, all your paperwork is up-to-date'. Same with marking books....do 5 or so with all the nonsense stuff they demand and make sure these 5 are the ones on view. The children don't care about 10-15 lines of comments, anyhow, they just want the old fashioned 'good/bad' effort. Simply - look at what you do now and bin at least 60% of it. No-one will notice but you will feel better, you will teach better, the job becomes nicer again.

6. Same here - redundancy consultation in December for the third time in five years, ten people made redundant on December 21st [​IMG] (Not me - phew)

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps we should all run for parliament. Better pay, Better holidays!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

20 years ago the DH at my first school trained and got an HGV licence, resigned and became a lorry driver! He would snd us postcards form all over the UK and then Europe!

9. Is it too late to be a tube driver?

10. In many ways I agree with you ILS but how many times do you lose your temper, shout at the top of your voice, get insulted daily in your current job?

11. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

I wouldn't say it happens daily but abuse from Class A drug users when they don't get what they want comes with the territory in my job. The difference is that it's generally not personal, I suppose, and if we're ever physically threatened we can count on being supported, which in my experience teachers often aren't.
    The micro management, paperwork, changing initiatives and performance targets are just as tough if not more so in the criminal justice system. The capability route is mercilessly swift if your performance drops.

12. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Good advice from you for all of us stuck in this rut.
    Yes I am totally fed up of goal posts being changed and the pressure we are all under, for all sides. Last week I had terrible stress and didn't sleep that well, kept waking up 3 times one night and headaches.
    I find it hard to switch off and always people "popping in" to our lessons to "observe" lessons in the guise of "learning walks" which is doing my head in right now. I've been observed 4 times so far. (other than my interview observation in september) plus another 3 this term to be happening.

13. it could be me talking exactly! if nothing else, remember lots of us are in the same boat! hate it at the moment...love teaching children and felt ok until this year, i think there is something very devisive going on, we also have loads of observations, from all angles, it has made me demoralised and i have all but lost faith in myself. i am looking for another job now, and hope it will all turn out ok, and hope you find the same.

14. I'm considering retraining as a social worker if I get made redundant. There is a fast track scheme where you train on the job and work for an MA at the same time, though it is very competative to get on and would mean taking a big salary cut, at least while training.
    I've also been thinking of administrator jobs at schools or colleges. Although I suppose they might give preference to those with clerical work experience (although I feel like I'm an expert on that with all the paper pushing I've done).
    I think if you were really desparate to get out then getting work as care assistant might be an option. That would be my last resort.
    I love driving and would really enjoy a job as a driver. Although I suppose the downside would be that many driving jobs also require heavy lifitng, as they are likely to involve delivering goods.
    I've got a PhD from a world class university and in the past would have felt devastated at having to get a job as a care assistant or similar. Now I don't really mind. Mortgage is paid off so I could manage financially, although I'd being giving up the public sector pension with sorrow in my heart.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I know someone who enjoyed driving and became a driver for an undertaker, realised he was good at it and did the full training. He's a good man and I'd be happy to have him deal with a funeral for me.
    There aren't many easy jobs I don't think but I know teaching can cause huge stress.

16. I joined a school many years ago...in the 80s, and discovered that the new Head succeeded one who'd had enough, resigned suddenly, got out of education altogether - despite being well thought of - and became a taxi driver.
    The new Head made us laugh a year or so later when he told us that after a late night celebrating in the holidays, the taxi driver who drove him home was the old Head! He said he was absolutely loving the freedom from teaching/being in charge even though he often did night shifts in his taxi.
    I am sure that there are lots of jobs an ex teacher is capable of doing...we do have many, many transferable skills after all. The trouble is...experienced people fail to land jobs in their chosen profession given the current economic climate so I wouldn't hold out much hope of impressing would-be employers if the only string you have to your bow is that of 'ex teacher'. Current experience tends to be what employers are looking for. I'd love to do a little clerical//reception job part-time. I'd be reliable, efficient, need very little coaching, able to work on my own initiative and I'd be accurate too. I might as well wish for the moon. [​IMG]

17. bacardibreezer

bacardibreezer New commenter

I'm hoping to find another job - one outside education - but I won't be rushing away from teaching until I know I have something else and that it won't be as stressfull as teaching. I realise that it will mean a drop in pay and fewer holidays, but the holidays I do have won't be overshadowed by the pile of mock GCSEs, A-Level coursework, controlled assessments, data tracking sheets, etc...
    In the meantime, I've discovered that I can survive if I stop caring. I try not to care every time some thick-witted politician spouts more rubbish about teachers, or when there's yet another newspaper report citing poor teaching as the reason for national illiteracy levels, or when a parent at parents evening tells me it's my fault that the behaviour in one particular
    class is bad because it's down to me to get rid of the trouble makers (Oh, if only!)
    The sad thing is I've had to stop caring about the students I teach as well, otherwise all the injustice in education at the moment would drive me mad. But my sanity (what's left of it) and health have to take priority, as do my family.
    So, my advice - if you find you have to stay in teaching, stop caring. Just do what you have to do and no more.

18. I'd like to be a truck driver. I wonder if I could pay to do the HGV training to get a HGV licence over the summer vacation?

19. I'd like to be a train driver too. I wonder how you qualify for that?

20. It is possible to escape, either fully or bit by bit. A first step can be taking part time positions in independent institutions. If you build a portfolio of freelance experience, you can soon at least equal your salary and best of all it's on your terms. That makes all the difference. So remember: http://thejuristsden.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/freud.jpg