1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what options for a nursery session do nurseries offer?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by dorothydelve, May 3, 2011.

1. I have been asked to think about changing the current nursery sessions we offer . we currently offer a morning 3hr session or an afernoon 3hr session, with 20 full timers 9-3.15pm .We have found that the afternoon group dont get the same input as the morning due to staff breaks, school timetables etc
    . I wondered what different models other nurseries offer and its pros/ cons?
    Dee

2. I have been asked to think about changing the current nursery sessions we offer . we currently offer a morning 3hr session or an afernoon 3hr session, with 20 full timers 9-3.15pm .We have found that the afternoon group dont get the same input as the morning due to staff breaks, school timetables etc
    . I wondered what different models other nurseries offer and its pros/ cons?
    Dee

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

am 8.45 -11.45
    pm 12.30 -3.30
    parents can access any combination of sessions ( conditional on availability) to 15hours per week
    parents opting for full days pay a small fee for lunch and child care in the CC
    Staff don't have breaks during sessions so input is duplicated as far as possible

4. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

We're a much bigger nursery than Juls but have the same sessions. Morning children go home at 11.45, afternoon children arrive at 12.25 and staff all have lunch between 11.55 and 12.25.
    Full time children have lunch 11.30 -12.30 and 3 level 3 staff are employed for that hour.
    We had to change the end of the day to make the day long enough for staff to have a lunch break.

5. Mine is the same as you but without the afternoon problems:

We open the doors at 0830 for a three hour session, lunch between 1130 and 1230 (although it's about 25 minutes long in practice!) and then the afternoon session 1230 to 1530. My nursery nurse and I lunch together and a TA comes in to give our full day children their lunch.

The reason we don't have a problem with afternoon input due to staff breaks is because we don't get one! [​IMG]

For the record, I don't like the flexible offer. This is for many reasons but I'll save these for another thread!

6. Our nursery used to offer parents the choice of either 5 mornings, or 5 afternoons. Now we run our sessions from 9am-12, and from 12 - 3pm. Children can attend in ANY combination, some children still do 5 mornings, others do all day mon, wed pm and all day fri, others do some mornings and some afternoons. Myself and my nursery nurse originally agreed to stay for lunch week on week off, and to take a break earlier in the day (ie on my week for staying for lunch with children I would go for a break at around 11-11.30am) However, as time has moved on we have found that we actually both stay for lunch with the children all of the time. It is far more civilised than sitting in an overcrowded staffroom with the usual "discussions" lol.
    We have a paid MDS from the main school who joins us for lunch, so the option is there for one of us to take a break. We are very aware, however, that the "lunch time" be part of the afternoon children's session. It is a very rich opportunity for talk, PSED, etc so while children in the afternoon may loose out on time for CI etc, they can gain huge amounts in terms of the social setting a shared mealtime can offer. Especially as many of these children eat their other meals sitting on the sofa in front of the tv.

7. candyshrimp

candyshrimp New commenter

We tried the 3 hour sessions and it didn't work well for staff time together for meetings / preparation / displays / assessments etc.

So we changed it to this:
    Children have either every morning or every afternoon 8:45 - 11:15 or 12:45 - 3:15.
    Parents may choose one extra session per week and it has to stay the same every week. We run a lunchtime club for children who are on their full time day staffed by lunchtime supervisors.
    We do not plan any differently, the children simply repeat what has been done in the morning during carpet times.
    It works a treat.