1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What options are there for career progression?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by rosaespanola, Feb 24, 2011.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I'm in my 5th year of teaching MFL in a secondary school and I feel that I'm ready for something new, but I'm not sure where I want my career to progress from here.
    My ideal thing would be to become an AST (or something similar) but I'm not sure how feasible this is - I've looked online to find out about it and it seems to come down to whether there's already an AST in my subject in another school nearby and whether my school can be persuaded to pay me the extra to become an AST. In the current budget-cut climate, I can't imagine many schools being overly keen on this.
    The other obvious things are head of department, which I really don't think I'd like to do, or lead teacher/2nd in department, both of which would mean moving schools as the people currently in these posts aren't going anywhere. The other thing would be head of year, which doesn't sound bad but I've had no experience of doing anything like this so it could be a bit of a baptism of fire - I'm worried about biting off more than I can chew!
    Is there anything I'm missing here? I don't really know what other options might be open to me for progression, I'd much prefer to stay in my current school but I am feeling like I'm ready to take on something different.

2. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I'm in my 5th year of teaching MFL in a secondary school and I feel that I'm ready for something new, but I'm not sure where I want my career to progress from here.
    My ideal thing would be to become an AST (or something similar) but I'm not sure how feasible this is - I've looked online to find out about it and it seems to come down to whether there's already an AST in my subject in another school nearby and whether my school can be persuaded to pay me the extra to become an AST. In the current budget-cut climate, I can't imagine many schools being overly keen on this.
    The other obvious things are head of department, which I really don't think I'd like to do, or lead teacher/2nd in department, both of which would mean moving schools as the people currently in these posts aren't going anywhere. The other thing would be head of year, which doesn't sound bad but I've had no experience of doing anything like this so it could be a bit of a baptism of fire - I'm worried about biting off more than I can chew!
    Is there anything I'm missing here? I don't really know what other options might be open to me for progression, I'd much prefer to stay in my current school but I am feeling like I'm ready to take on something different.

3. sciencequeen00

sciencequeen00 New commenter

In a similar situation to you, im enjoying the teaching but want some progression- department dont have the funding though!