1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What ongoing series of novels do you read?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by lanokia, Jun 28, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I seem to have found myself deeply enmeshed in a whole slew of ongoing series...

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch
    Old mans war by John Scalzi
    The Dark Tower by Stephen King
    Selected Terry Pratchetts
    Merrily Watkins series by Phil Rickman
    Jack Reacher novels
    Shardlake by CJ Samson
    Horus Heresy from various by the Black Library

I'm sure there are a few more that'll come to me... enjoying most of them... I wouldn't go on with them if I wasn't.

What novel series do you follow? Not the author so much [although that's hard to avoid] but the series...

2. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I love it when I find an author whose books I like and they have a series of them!
    A few years ago on, on this forum, i found out about the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher. I caught up to book 15 last year and now am eagerly awaiting the next. I also like

Lee Child's Jack Reacher books
    Christopher Brookmyre's books which feature Jack Parbalane
    Kate Atkinson's Jackson Broadie books
    Janet Evanavitch's Stephanie Plum books (up to about number 10 when i then got fed up of the Ranger/Joe conundrum)

3. s10327

s10327 Occasional commenter

I'm re-sending Ngaio Marsh's Inspector Alleyn books.
    Charles Stross' Laundry series.
    Robin Hobb's Farseer/Fitz and the Fool/Rainwilds books.

My mum has all the Cynthia Harrold Eagles thingummy series that I keep intending to borrow.

4. s10327

Oh yes, Chris Brookmyre's Parlabanes too. :)

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I keep thinking I should read more Charles Stross.

6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

:D I love these. Lanokia, you absolutely should read the Laundry Files if you haven't already. @s10327 if you don't know them you should try NK Jemisin's books, especially her newest series.

I can't do a list. If I like an author I read everything they've written.
    Bujold's Vorkosigan books and O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin are probably the two series I return to a lot and comfort read when I need a break from reality.

s10327 likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I forgot to add Stephen Baxter/Terry Pratchett and the Long Earth series... picked up the Long Utopia in Tesco yesterday.

@Flere-Imsaho Yeah I read a Charles Stross years ago, did like it but never returned to him... but as your other recommendations have worked out so far I'll give him a go.

s10327 likes this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

The Laundry series is more accessible, I think, than some of his other work. They make me laugh a lot. I tried a couple of others and didn't finish them - a bit too heavy on the science/tech aspects for me.

I'm glad you've liked some of what I've suggested. It's nice to know another voracious reader!

s10327 likes this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I like the Rivers of London series and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I read one Shardlake novel and enjoyed it do I've got another on my Kindle. A bit vague I'm afraid as I can't remember the titles.

I love any of the Phillipa Gregory books about the Plantagenets and Tudors.

lanokia likes this.
  10. s10327

Aubrey/Maturin too. The trouble with those novels is they don't come to an end, they just stop, I find, so I end up starting the next immediately.

I shall look out for N K Jemisin, I confess that's a new name to me.

I second that about the Laundrynovels being more accessible than Charles Stross' other books. Other half gave me Accelerando to read, about uploading the consciousness of giant lobsters into spaceships, and I swear I had to concentrate so hard my brain hurt.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  11. s10327

And the Long earth books. Haven't got Long Utopia yet.

I also really got into Phillipa Gregory's Cousins War. Didn't watch the TV series though.

12. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I'm a sucker for anything by Brandon Sanderson, joe Abercrombie or the deaden files.

I'm a bit of a fantasy buff and would definitely recommend Stephen Ericsson and Scott lynch if that's your area.

13. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

I'll read anything by Terry Pratchett, Helen Grant, Arthur Ransome or Jane Casey.
    I've also read all of the 'Skulduggery Pleasant' series by Derek Landy and all of the adult fiction by Eoin Colfer.

Sadly don't get much time to read these days (though I listen to audiobooks when I'm on non-contact)

lanokia and s10327 like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I confess I kind of cheated on the last two books... my aunt lent me the audio books and I listened to them on a long drive to Scotland and back... :oops:

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

He is good isn't he... I have two of his in my 'to read' pile... must get to them.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've got it... just not read it yet...

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That's not cheating - it's the oral tradition ;). My daughter always has an audio book on the go for when she is doing housework or in the car, with four children and a part time teaching job she doesn't get much time to read.

taisiya_wolker and lanokia like this.
  18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Bernie Gunther series by Philip Kerr.Last one was disappointing though -usually excellent.

19. brawlassie

brawlassie New commenter

Robin Hobbs
    Georgette Heyer
    Joe Abercrombie
    Anne Cleeves
    Jo Nesbo

and so many more!
    Since getting Prime reading I've been introduced to loads of new authors for free!

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I've been waiting ages for the final (?) instalment of the Rivers of London series but Ben Aaronovitch seems to be fully occupied making graphic novels in parallel instead which don't interest me at all.