1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What, One Thing, Would You Re-Introduce From Your Childhood?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ro13, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Just a fun post. We all remember things, from childhood that are no longer around now whether food, drink, TV show etc.

For me it would be Corona Fizzy (no pun intended). The excitement of that crate of assorted bottles being delivered, in December, heralded the arrival of Christmas. Also it tasted so much better from a glass bottle :)

popman.thumb.jpg.dfc58dc757cb434af20419827d4c87d9.jpg

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

They make viruses now.

3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

@Ro13: You got 3d back on each empty bottle, too!

One thing I miss is this:

[​IMG]

Ro13 and smoothnewt like this.
  4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Muscle tone and the ability to wake up and then run all day for no other reason than you can!

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Proper football.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Clean air

monicabilongame and ShowerGel like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

From the age of 7 I was able to play anywhere around the village in the company of my mates with no adult supervision. It's a pity such freedom rarely exists today.

I still miss my Johnny Astro:

[​IMG]

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

9. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

C5418876-2908-460F-AA07-C3DE07569366.jpeg Not Spangles

Jolly_Roger15, emilystrange and nomad like this.
  10. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

8 week school holidays where every day was sunny, even in North East Scotland.

11. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Children walking to school on their own.

12. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This!
    Go out to play in the morning - come back for dinner - go out to play again - come back for tea - go out to play again until it got dark.

Looking back, I'm amazed my very anxious mother allowed me to do so, even after the occasion the police were alerted to look for me, my best friend and her two younger siblings, when we failed to return home by the appointed time. We were having such a great time, sliding down the slope towards a derelict railway line (which was out of bounds......) that we'd forgotten - or ignored - the time.

13. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Elastics.

jellycowfish likes this.
  14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Looking at my Johnny Astro image above, I'm wondering for the very first time why it was thought necessary to land a Mercury orbital capsule on the lunar surface, but it doesn't spoil my fond memories of doing exactly that. :)

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The chance so see the Milky Way and tens of millions of stars at night without light pollution.

16. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Mobile shops that come round to where I live.

Nowadays, it's just the ice cream van, but back in the old days, when I was a young 'un, other food retailers would turn up on my street to ply their trade. One was a greengrocer with a single-decker bus full of fruit and veg. He would tempt customers with free slices of apples and oranges, making them feel guilty if they declined to buy what they'd just tried. Another was a fishmonger, who sold wet fish, mainly cod, haddock, herring and kippers, out of the back of his small van, using an old-fashioned set of scales to weigh purchases.

And, of course, there were the "Onion Johnnies" too:
    [​IMG]

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Fewer cars.

18. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We still have a fish van in the village.

Our mobile butcher came on a Friday. He used to throw a handful of mince to our cat who then had to pick the bits of mince out of the gravelly tarmac on the path.

lorencanna, nomad and Dodros like this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I know they still exist today but I do remember the Ice Cream Van that used to come round our estate. I never had any money as a kid so I could afford only one a week. The sense of anticipation on the day I had enough cash for an ice cream I can still remember.

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The "village" Bobby who knew all the children in the district, whose apples they had scrumped and where they all lived.,

[​IMG]