1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What on earth....

Discussion in 'Science' started by whodbeateacher, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ... is going on in KS3 Science? My son (year 8) tells me he has no text book because the teachers are teaching a new curriculum and haven't found a book that suits. He's been told to revise for tests and assessments from his notes (hmmmm, boy notes!).
    What's going on? My other son (now A levels) had text books, units and revision help. I've no idea how to help my youngst now.
    Any advice? Has the curriculum changed? Any good text books/revision aids out there? CGP?

2. ... is going on in KS3 Science? My son (year 8) tells me he has no text book because the teachers are teaching a new curriculum and haven't found a book that suits. He's been told to revise for tests and assessments from his notes (hmmmm, boy notes!).
    What's going on? My other son (now A levels) had text books, units and revision help. I've no idea how to help my youngst now.
    Any advice? Has the curriculum changed? Any good text books/revision aids out there? CGP?

3. There are a number of good revision books (CGP is one, Letts also) - make sure you get the correct level for his target (3-6 or 5-7). I expect that the content will be similar, just the way that it is presented or the order is different. You may need to get a list of topics studied. Have you asked the school for this? Do they have a website or VLE where revision material is listed?
    For revision - make use of BBC bitesize website - boys generally respond well to using a computer.

4. Thanks. I have old CGP ones and I'll look at the others.
    School does have VLE but in it's infancy and the teacher is, well, not very approachable. Shame really - he's been very turned off a lot of stuff. I'll try again to get a list of topics.
    Thanks for your quick reply.

5. Star_Teacher

Star_Teacher New commenter

Personally, text books can be useful if used in the right way, but i dont like using them exclusively. Not one text book is good at representing all topics, so i like to pick and choose.

Revising from school boy notes will hopefully jog their memory of what was done in the lesson and the learning that occured, but it should also be used in conjunction with a revision guide (either paper or internet).

I think that if a student uses a revision guide once a week to go over the topics covered in science lessons then that should be sufficient at reinforcing the learning in lessons.

Definitely talk to the teacher if you get a chance, but it is best to try and do it from a you want his advice viewpoint as this will more likely bring him on board and offer help, if the conversation starts with criticism then the teacher will most likely not want to continue the conversation.

6. I never ever use a textbook. The kids i teach dont have one, even at KS4.

There is no problem here.........

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

We've changed to the new curriculum but too be honest everything is still in the old text books. Sometimes yr 8 may be looking at the yr 7 book but it is all still there so we have not bought new books.

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Perhaps your child's school has changed the teaching of the KS3 curriculum from 3 years to 2 years? Or perhaps they have developed their own SOW for the KS3 curriculum?
    Either way a good general KS3 text book will cover everything, also, perhaps the school has changed its policy on giving out textbooks as they weren't getting them back?

9. If you need some past papers try
    http://www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/scienceks3.htm
    Despite the address, they have science KS3 SATS past papers + mark schemes which may hep your son identify areas he is less confident in.
    I used them a while ago - however now my browser warns me the site may be 'untrusted'.

10. better site is http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS3SAT.htm
    go to bottom of page - trusted site.

11. Thank you all. Some useful advice/links. [​IMG]

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

We have decrepit books for KS3 - I have heard rumours of a single set of up to date year 7 and a single set of year 8 books circulating (for cover lessons only).
    This is OK for stuff where the skills and knowledge can be delivered by other means, but there is some stuff - animal behaviour and applications of technology where we have nothing suitable in writing. Animal behaviour is more than woodlice in &*%$£ing choice chambers and is somewhere where students could learn a lot from data
    P