1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What now for education...... especially Ofsted.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tolkien28, Dec 13, 2019.

1. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

Like many people I am somewhat overwhelmed by the thought of a landslide Boris Johnson led government, especially where education is concerned. I am somewhat out of the loop concerning Ofsted, as a primary school supply teacher. What is the consensus of opinion regarding Ofsted inspections?

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The new OFSTED thing is 'Deep Dives' so have your snorkel and flippers ready and practice holding your breath.

Bronze Medal Personal Survival will also be handy - if you haven't got one from actually swimming, try eBay.

[​IMG]

Corvuscorax, nomad and tolkien28 like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would suggest you wait until Johnson forms his new cabinet and decided on the new Education Secretary.

tolkien28 likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

do you get to jump in in your pajamas?

5. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I would expect more inspections and power to Ofsted.

Teachers can moan as much as they want (correctly) about the uselessness of Ofsted but parents love it and there are more parents than teachers which means more votes at a GE.

Kandahar likes this.
  6. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

I disagree. Parents don't love OFSTED. Many parents buy into the fantasy that league tables drive up standards and that they all have a choice.

Parents say that they want data to make an informed decision but OFSTED does not trust its own inspectors... not that you know this by following the mainstream media that parents tend to see.

You have made this assertion before, I think.
    Certain groups of parents that are anti/negative towards teachers might love OFSTED, but not all parents. Not even the majority of parents.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

The no notice thing was a dead cat. But ofsted will have power to inspect old ‘outstanding' schools who were previously exempt. There are a lot of them and not a lot of ofsted, so that means anyone currently in the good category or who has recently attained an outstanding can breathe a sign of relief. There’s going to be three to four years without an ofsted inspection. During which time we will continue to campaign remove gradings. It is coming - grading will be removed. It’s not a question of if it’s a question of when. The research is mounting up that grading is counter productive. The research is not mounting up that grading is helpful. We are expecting the next stage to be a removal of the top end ‘outstanding' category. We are talking years alas, for the entire removal, but that is the way it is going. Johnson knows he is unpopular with teachers. I would be surprised if he did not do something to endear himself to teachers rather than go at them burning votes Govian style.

tolkien28 likes this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Hopefully - and make the pyjama bottoms into sausages to stop you from sinking. Surely that would impress the Inspectors. "The school was rated Good, with Excellent pyjama bottom sausages".

9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Expect lies about more freedom for teachers, while you are more tightly policed.

More lies about freedom for academies, while their "freedoms" are reduced.

Increased outsourcing to companies owned by those running the MAT

More lies about most things...
    Lies.
    They will be the thing.

10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

That is indeed why I say parents love Ofsted - meant as they support it and 'love' inspections and grades.

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher...arents-ofsted-inspect-schools-more-frequently

This was the article I remember reading - admitted it is 4 years old but I doubt sentiments have changed much among parents.

Yep, I don;t think we are far apart on the effectiveness of Ofsted at all - I see little benefit to it ....but yes, I do feel parents are very supportive of Ofsted and, as the article and survey say, want it to get involved even more.

I will see if there are recent changes in mood but the link above certainly challenges what you claim here.

11. install

install Star commenter

Ofsted are over paid critics and look to continue to be so. Heads and their slt will in some schools continue to try and panic their staff into have sleepless nights over Ofsted. Crib sheets about what to say to Ofsted will no doubt appear in schools where panic is encouraged.

Parents seem to like Ofsted and the Ofsted spin. And so the Ofsted fear that Hts and slt have looks set to continue for some time. But do not get sucked into it. Keep calm and let the ht and their slt panic.

tolkien28 and Kandahar like this.
  12. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

There will be an ever dwindling number of teachers willing to step up into SLT roles.... and an ever increasing rate of attrition from the classroom...

install likes this.
  13. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I'm a parent and I don't like Ofsted. It's a silly and counter-productive organisation that panders to people who don't understand education or statistics.

install and tolkien28 like this.