1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What notice do I give? Fixed term contract

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sam090, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Sam090

Sam090 New commenter

Im hoping to leave my fixed term (maternity cover) in the february half term, for a new job starting after half term. There is a line in my contract that states:

" For temporary and/or fixed term contracts of employment, prior to the expiry date specified in section A, the contract may be terminated by one month's notice either side."

My section A expiry date is the end of march. Does this mean I can give one months notice (i.e. give my notice on the 15th Jan) and then leave 1 calendar month later (15th feb)?

Any advice please?

Thanks

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Yes, that seems to be precisely what it means. It doesn't matter when your contract ends as such.

So write a polite and brief letter to the Head sometime before 15th Jan and you're sorted.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Yes, that’s how I would read it too. Your present contract naturally concludes in March but if you want to leave earlier you have to give a month’s notice. I presume you would choose the date at the end of the half term holiday so you do not have a break in your pay?

JohnJCazorla likes this.