1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What NOT to do when you apply for a job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Middlemarch, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The thread appears to have been removed. I wonder why?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Maybe the poster had used his/her own name, or a recognisable alias, and now regrets not only the action but also starting the thread.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com

3. Oh my goodness. I can't believe that anyone would actually do that! I didn't have the chance to read the thread but surely they knew they would get caught out? What happened to being open and honest with an employer? And surely being open and honest is what current as well as prospective employers would want to see?
    Feel a little sorry for them because they're obviously in big trouble now - it's so competitive in teaching at the minute and something like this can write you out of your career.They obviously just didn't think - or did and made the wrong decision.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yep.
    Absenting him/herself without authorisation from employment. Making a false statement of illness. Acquiring pecuniary advantage through deceit (i.e. getting a day's pay when you were off skiving). It all adds up. Could well be considered Gross Misconduct. And that could mean sacking with no notice and no pay.
    And then the second school - would they wish to employ someone who is unprofessional and deceitful? May well withdraw their offer, since the applicant came to interview under false pretences.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com