1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What? No More Perpetual War?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

For people who are
    1) against wars and US interferance
    2) against anything Trump.

It's moral dilemma. Most will have to be pro-war.

artboyusa and lanokia like this.
  2. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I welcome Iranian disengagement in Syria. I also welcome the disengagement of the gangster and murderer Assad from Syria too.

3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The world is unfortunately not short of gangsters and murderers. Given a Christmas wishlist of dictators to die in their sleep Myanmar's generals would be top of it.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Pulling US troops out of Syria is good news for the families of service personnel deployed there or about to be sent there. You couldn't get a better Christmas present.

But the bad news is for the local population of Syria, Daesh will simply regain their strength and take back the territory they have lost unless Syrian and Iraqi forces are capable enough to stop them.

American and other Western involvement in the Middle East is often cited as a reason by extremist groups for terrorist action in our major cities etc.Maybe (and it is a big maybe) withdrawal from such interventions might see a reduction in terrorist attacks,

As for an end to perpetual war? War was around since humans walked the Earth and will remain so. Perpetual War is humanity's curse.

And on that cheery Christmas thought..........:eek:

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

True. But a violent death for any human being is very much less likely today than at any time in recorded history.
    Happy Christmas and a Peaceful and Healthy 2019 to you.

artboyusa and chelsea2 like this.
  6. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

China is welcome to it.

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I know - this is madness!!! We've only been in Afghanistan for 17 years - we're sooooooooooo close. Surely another 17 years will do the trick.

And I hear that Germany and Japan are on the drawdown list too. What? After only 73 years? We gotta stay and finish the job!

racroesus likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Evidence suggests you are right
    [​IMG]

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Looks like a lot of Republican politicians are now expressing doubts on the Syrian withdrawal. And the Afghan draw-down.

Lindsay Graham and Mitch McConnell being two.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye maybe... but bear in mind China has 1 million of its own Muslim population in some form of concentration camp/re-education centre... not going to be good for the Afghans.

11. MAGAorMIGA

I wonder what Mike Pence's attitude to foreign relations is? Interesting conversation between Robert Reich and a Republican friend:

This morning I phoned my friend, the former Republican member of Congress.

ME: So, what are you hearing?

HE: Trump is in deep sh*t.

ME: Tell me more.

HE: When it looked like he was backing down on the wall, Rush and the crazies on Fox went ballistic. So he has to do the shutdown to keep the base happy. They’re his insurance policy. They stand between him and impeachment.

ME: Impeachment? No chance. Senate Republicans would never go along.

HE (laughing): Don’t be so sure. Corporate and Wall Street are up in arms. Trade war was bad enough. Now, you’ve got Mattis resigning in protest. Trump pulling out of Syria, giving Putin a huge win. This dumbass shutdown. The stock market in free-fall. The economy heading for recession.

ME: But the base loves him.

HE: Yeah, but the base doesn’t pay the bills.

ME: You mean …

HE: Follow the money, friend.

ME: The GOP’s backers have had enough?

HE: They wanted Pence all along.

ME: So …

HE: So they’ll wait until Mueller’s report, which will skewer Trump. Pelosi will wait, too. Then after the Mueller bombshell, she’ll get 20, 30, maybe even 40 Republicans to join in an impeachment resolution.

ME: And then?

HE: Senate Republicans hope that’ll be enough – that Trump will pull a Nixon.

ME: So you think he’ll resign?

HE (laughing): No chance. He’s fu*king out of his mind. He’ll rile up his base into a fever. Rallies around the country. Tweet storms. Hannity. Oh, it’s gonna be ugly. He’ll convince himself he’ll survive.

ME: And then?

HE: That’s when Senate Republicans pull the trigger.

ME: Really? Two-thirds of the Senate?

HE: Do the math. 47 Dems will be on board, so you need 19 Republicans. I can name almost that many who are already there. Won’t be hard to find the votes.

ME: But it will take months. And the country will be put through a ringer.

HE: I know. That’s the worst part.

ME: I mean, we could have civil war.

HE: Hell, no. That’s what he wants, but no chance. His approvals will be in the cellar. America will be glad to get rid of him.

ME: I hope you’re right.

HE: He’s a dangerous menace. He’ll be gone. And then he’ll be indicted, and Pence will pardon him. But the state investigations may put him in the clinker. Good riddance.

mathsmutt and FrankWolley like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It should be made clear he posted that in October 2017 and it doesn't relate to the present political situation.

13. MAGAorMIGA

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

People can get addicted to war, you know. And to the notion that they can put a messy world in order.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"He’s a dangerous menace..." yep, and that's why we elected him. He's a dangerous menace to a ruling class which has brought the country nothing but endless war, violent social division and permanent economic stagnation; a menace to everyone who wants to make us less free and more poor, a menace to everyone who thinks our country belongs to them and not to us.

You know, "us". The ones who built the country and make it run. The ones who pay their taxes and obey their laws, the ones who go to fight and die in their multiple foreign policy disasters, the ones who give everything and get nothing in return but their hatred and contempt. Because they do hate us, their actions prove it (and they're not too crazy about America either).

You think Trump is the problem? You think they can just phoney up some impeachment and Trump's gone and everyone goes back to warmongering. globalist normality? No way. Because we're still here. And we're not going away. They should be careful...

lexus300 likes this.
  16. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

This is what CNN considers journalism.

Jaw dropping.

artboyusa likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The next couple of weeks will be interesting - with 25% of the Government shutdown and 9for now at least) Trump seemingly held responsible for it - what happens next

If he backs down over the wall then he's finished

19. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

That is true and a welcome statistic. But a large reason behind this is due to the advances in battlefield medicine. These include the use of combat application tourniquets, quick clotting agents and rapid evacuation by helicopters to hospital care. Many soldiers now survive injuries that would have proved fatal in the past and is the reason you see many more limbless survivors.

And these advances developed on the battlefield eventually find their way into civilian medicine to save peoples' lives when they crash their cars, fall off ladders/horses/motorbikes or lose limbs in industrial accidents. So perhaps there are some benefits to perpetual war,

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This I grant you... though it should also be borne in mind that technology has had another impact... wars can now be fought with minimal losses to the attacking side... take our Libya campaign... I might be mistaken but 100% of casualties were on the Libyan side. No serving military personnel of the Allied forces lost their lives.

* I had a Google before clicking post and it appears the UK lost 21-35 SAS soldiers. SOURCE though I'm not sure about that source. There was also an accident involving a helicopter. And another service man died in a road traffic accident in Italy.