1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What? No More Perpetual War?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Dec 19, 2018.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

What is Trump thinking???

I don't care if ISIS has lost 100% of the territory it once held in Iraq and 99% of the territory it once held in Syria. I'm concerned that if Trump pulls American forces out of Syria it could have grave implications for America's place as the World's Unpaid Police Force.
    For decades, the mainstay of US foreign policy is that, once committed to doing something stupid, no matter how much it costs or how illegal it is or how self-defeating the results are or how many of our wonderful young people die or have their lives marred for nothing, we must stay there, wherever "there" is or how many "theres" there are till the mission, whatever it is or was, is accomplished. Or until Hell freezes. Whichever comes first.

Because of "threats". There are always threats. And if there aren't any, we know how to create them.

Now along comes Trump with these crazy ideas like "Let them sort it out" and "We won. Let's go home". This alarming trend can only recklessly endanger the promotion prospects of our career military, the profitability of our hard-lobbying defence contractors and the credibility of our foreign policy experts (who, remember have so far never been wrong about anything, ever).

Not to mention what it might mean for our Saudi and Israeli friends if they don't have America around to fight their wars for them.

Truly, its a nightmare scenario. I hope those investigators are soon able to fabricate enough, uh, "evidence" of things that didn't happen for peacenik Trump to be removed from office and our status quo of perpetual war against self-created enemies for some other country's benefit can be quickly restored.

A few drones here, a little regime change there, throw in some planes full of flag draped coffins and it will all be back to being just like how its been all my life.
    [​IMG]

lexus300 and racroesus like this.
  2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I think it might be just simple maths. Or math, if you prefer.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

USA plc will not jeopardise its oil supply.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Still fighting the Vietnam war are you? Or has hell frozen?

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

American foreign policy has been to blame in the first place and needs serious long term reappraisal. It’s a move in the right direction.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

America has lost many things since Trump became president.

But I think respect and integrity will do for starters.

monicabilongame and FrankWolley like this.
  7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wow... crazy world when the Guardian is arguing the USA should continue interfering in the Middle East.

The damage done by foreign interference in the last 18 years is visible every day on the news. Every country, USA, UK, Iran, Russia, Saudi, UAE ~ should cease and desist from all foreign adventurism and focus on their own problems at home.

artboyusa likes this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think the point is that Isis has not been defeated. I agree about the damage done by foreign interference, Libya being a good example.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The territorial entity of ISIS has been, it's been routed from Iraq and any dregs in Syria are minor border villages which Syrian forces can easily deal with.

ISIS as a terror network is a different entity and 2000 US troops in Syria are not going to have an impact on that.

artboyusa likes this.
  11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

the USA is largely self sufficient these days. Its more of a money supply from the Middle East days due to their oil company interests over there.

12. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Got to give Trump credit when it's due. Clinton would have turned Syria into another slave state by now.

artboyusa and red_observer like this.
  13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

This Tweet is by an outspoken critic of Trump, but even so it may be worth taking seriosuly:

Brian Krassenstein‏@krassenstein 18h18 hours ago
    BREAKING: -Trump decides to terminate sanctions on the Russian aluminum company Rusal within 30 days -Trump to Pull troops out of Syria to leave Russia in charge. All this just days after we found out how severe Russia's social media influence campaign to attack us really was

1,528 replies10,690 retweets23,073 likes

InkyP likes this.
  14. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Agreed

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

At least the Senate(?) voted unanimously to finally criminalise lynching.

16. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Biggest winner is my old chum Erdogan ... he'll have a free hand to mop up those pesky Syrian Kurds now...

The Kurds came so close... I suspect they'll remember this.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Irrelevant to what we're talking about and no, they didn't. Not exactly, no. They voted to make it a federal crime. Why, I know not. Murder is illegal in America and always has been. Actually, I do know. It's important for identity politics fans to keep the pot of racial resentment furiously boiling, since their careers depend on it, and a meaningless bill addressing a non-existent (thank God) problem is one way to do that.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...cry-act/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.981b43c725f0

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    lexus300 and racroesus like this.
  19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Oh, ISIS will never be defeated enough for some people. Even if they sat at a table on the US Missouri and signed the surrender documents it wouldn't be good enough. Those with a vested interest will always be able to identify a "threat" to justify staying forever somewhere we should never have been in the first place.

20. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Much oil in Syria is there?