1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What next?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ChanChan123, Aug 21, 2019.

1. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

I have been out of teaching for a short while having taught for 2 and a bit years. The bit didn't end very well with me really struggling and handing my notice in under a potential capability threat (eek!).

I have since worked as an EYS in a children's centre whilst continuing to look for jobs. Whilst here I've been lucky enough to be promoted to SENCo.

I've had a few interviews where I've revised positive feedback on both teaching and the interview side of things, however have never been successful with feedback like 'any other day it would have been you' alongside a candidate who was a student there, etc.

I recently applied for a post and was a reserve candidate due to the fact that my application was strong but I don't have any recent school experience.

I'm sortve stuck now on what to do - gaining school experience through supply seems the obvious route but also so unpredictable with money etc.

Anyone been in this situation and come out the other side? Or anyone have any advice that might help?

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If you want another teaching job I think you have little choice but to do some supply work.

ChanChan123 likes this.
  3. ChanChan123

Thanks! This is what I thought but didn't know if there was another way. I saw a pastoral support job that I was interested in but thought this could be another step away....

4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I’d agree with @peakster - supply work will get you back in the swing of things. If you want experience in the classroom on a more permanent basis, but trying to learn through teacher observation, think about some time as a TA.

ChanChan123 likes this.
  5. ChanChan123

Ok thank you both!
    It seems I will just need to bite the bullet and do supply. I was just a bit worried financially I guess but needs and musts!

6. ChanChan123

Ok thank you both!
    It seems I will just need to bite the bullet and do supply. I was just a bit worried financially I guess but needs and musts!

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Supply is unpredictable - particularly early on in the academic year but it is the easiest way back I think.

Agencies are a good start but you need to start contacting them very soon if you want to be available for September.

8. ChanChan123

I am definitely going to get on it today - I won't be able to be available for September though as I've got a 4 week notice period to give so could be a good thing?!