1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What next?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Presleygirl, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Presleygirl

Presleygirl Occasional commenter

Let’s see put on informal capability (yes I know nothing informal) after being there short space of time, then off with wrs. OH visit says fit for phased return to work. Union wanted protection under mental health ..... not been there long enough. Work trigger not two other things from the past so OH didn’t see connection.
    Told them had been seeing a counsellor paid by myself, said been running etc all self care steps. Asked me if I wanted to return which I don’t know.
    My head is spinning and for some reason I’m not fully convinced with my union and I don’t know why.

Formal capability hasn’t started, just so sick of this situation.
    Any ideas..... im getting upset only when talk of this! I could scream

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Are you able to stay off for a couple of weeks (ie holidays) and try to breathe? You don't sound as if you are in a place to make any decisions right now.
    The anxiety which goes with illness/WRS will make you feel uncertain about things - like the union - but unless you know for sure they are not as helpful as you would want, then that is one worry you can leave aside.
    Take care of yourself.

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You just said it. You don't know yourself. Whether you want to return. Maybe you don't even know what school could do to make your life a little easier.

If the underlying problem predates teaching then it's hard for anyone to know what to do for the best.

A phased return sounds fair.

Check out this list of types of adjustment. What might help you? Many of these simply aren't possible for teachers but take a look.

http://m.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/o/c/Common_types_of_adjustments_2018.pdf

4. Presleygirl

5. Presleygirl

I’m currently signed off work until the new year but I am expected o turn up on the first day unless otherwise advised/ agreed by school.

I thank you for your response, I’ve been doing ok and getting on with stuff for my sanity. Yet one visit to OH and it set me off again.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, OH sensed your improvement and thought (not unreasonably) that it's time for you to get back to work.

Now you have to combine all the things you've done and learned that have helped you and continue to implement them whilst beginning to resume the daily grind. Not saying it'll be easy but take it steady and you'll do it.

Your objective is to manage a working life whilst keeping well in all respects. No mean feat at the best of times. But people do it and so can you. You'll have bad days. You'll have better days.

7. Presleygirl