1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What next?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by sheepsheep, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I have been struggling to find new and interesting books, so thought I'd try here for ideas...
    Over the past couple of years, books that have stuck in my head include, in no particular order:
    Cloud Atlas
    Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet
    Kite Runner
    The Help
    The Other Hand
    Time Traveller's Wife
    Memoirs of a Geisha
    Started Early Took My Dog
    One Day
    Water for Elephants
    Poisonwood Bible
    The Discovery of Chocolate
    By the way - Had high hopes for both The Woman on the Green Bicycle and The Tiger's Wife, but they didn't hit the spot with me, couldn't get on with the characters and didn't care what happened to any of them.
    Has anyone read any of these favourites and want to suggest something new in a similar vein?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have enjoyed a number of those on your list. Have you tried:
    A Thousand Splendid Suns (same author as the Kite Runner)
    Louis de Bernieres - Birds Without Wings and his South American trilogy which starts with The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether parts
    Philippa Gregory has written some fiction as well as the historical stuff - Fallen Skies and the Wideacre trilogy.
    Maggie O'Farrell - lots of choice there but The Hand that First Held Mine is her most recent that I am aware of
    Sebastian Faulks - I preferred Human Traces to the first world war ones
    Plenty there to be going on with! I must get hold of Water for Elephants. I am current enjoying the Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver on my kindle after comments on another thread on here.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I read this years ago when it first came out and enjoyed it very much.

5. I had forgotten about this one. I loved this book.

Thank you for your suggestions, please keep them coming !

6. Just read: 'Calling Mr Lonely Hearts' Laura Benedict. A gripping story of obsession, very well written about teenage girls that make a mistake and the aftermath. It is unsettling, but a gripping, exciting read.

7. ljr

ljr New commenter

I have just finished Tiger Hills by Sarita Mandanna, it is a lovely story set in Kerala, India, following a family from the turn of the century to modern times.It was one of those that I couldn't put down, thank goodness I wasn't getting up for school.

8. The Red Tent, Anita Diamant.
    One of my all time favourites. read and re-read.