1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What next?? Advice please:)

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by Teacher451, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I've been teaching primary for three years now and I am consistently getting 'outstanding' lesson observations and positive feedback from my head of key stage and my head teacher. The staffing in my school is fairly fixed and I can't see people moving on anytime soon, but I just wonder where I could go next? Could i start applying for head of key stage positions elsewhere, or would it be prudent to gain a few more years experience first? I just don't want to be stood still, i want to keep learning and make the most of myself. My prof dev targets at school are related to my subject leader post (in a small primary so we all have one) but not really my career? Anyway, sorry for the rambling but i would just appreciate some advice!

Vox x

2. Hi all,

I've been teaching primary for three years now and I am consistently getting 'outstanding' lesson observations and positive feedback from my head of key stage and my head teacher. The staffing in my school is fairly fixed and I can't see people moving on anytime soon, but I just wonder where I could go next? Could i start applying for head of key stage positions elsewhere, or would it be prudent to gain a few more years experience first? I just don't want to be stood still, i want to keep learning and make the most of myself. My prof dev targets at school are related to my subject leader post (in a small primary so we all have one) but not really my career? Anyway, sorry for the rambling but i would just appreciate some advice!

Vox x

3. marylamb

marylamb New commenter

How about trying a different school? This will help you add more on your CV and see different methods and teaching experiences too,
    The experiences of a larger school can be very different to the one that you are currenly experiencing. I was in a similar situation, and went to teach at a school with a different make up to my own.
    I have gained vast amounts of experience in terms of dealing with highly disruptive behaviour ./ emotionally challenged children. (I have always been graded as outstanding for behaviour, but this new school showed me behaviour at a total new level! - the needs of the children was very very different to the one I had experienced.)
    The school is bigger (3 form entry), which provides larger scope for development into different areas too.
    Hope this helps
    malteser muncher