1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What motivates you?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Nowayout, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Nowayout

Nowayout New commenter

Hi all,

I write after a blissful first week of the holiday. A first week where I have done bits of school work at a normal pace instead of a ridiculously crazy one.

I am interested to know how everyone retains their motivation for the headteacher role.

After three successful years, all characterised with varied challenges , I am totally exhausted. My school is doing well, the children are great and the workforce pretty happy. I am lucky in that I have committed and dedicated staff who are always wanting to do their best for our children.

However I am struggling to stay motivated myself. My main frustration is the constant high expectations in terms of data outcomes. Our school is situated in quite challenging circumstances where starting points are low. Increasingly children are entering with specific needs of either an SEN nature or need considerable emotional / mental health support to ensure they are ready to learn.

I never feel that what I do is enough. I constantly doubt myself. A particularly unpleasant incident with a parent who directly accused me of failing her child , constantly replays in my mind . They made some very direct accusations which are really difficult to forget.

I have to say that the majority of the parents/ carers are very appreciative of everything. In truth I know I’m not resilient enough and just can’t seem to grow rhino skin!
    I just seem to over think absolutely everything

2. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I’ve been the Headteacher of the school I work at now for 22 years, and over the years, I have seen a massive change within the sector (and there is more change to come)- and as a result, what motivates me has changed over time!
    The sector (and the role) is definitely more data driven than it was back in 1997, but the core and ethos is still the same!

What has been a pivotal motivator driver over my time as a HT is the progress made with students and staff. Over the years, I’ve seen many pupils achieve over their predicted target grades at the end of KS2- some of whom we thought wouldn’t be that possible!
    In regards to staff, seeing them progress and gain promoted posts, whether at my school or another. In my 22 years as HT,
    I’ve had 5 DHTs, 4 of which have gone on to

install and lsalewski like this.