1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What motivates you to post on this forum?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zizzyballoon, Nov 9, 2017.

1. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

It occurs to me that I haven't mentioned the genuine support this forum offers when one is sick, injured or bereaved. When I was stuck indoors, for 6 weeks early this year, with a broken foot, it was a source of sympathy, support and entertainment and the same after I had my knee replaced, as well as when I minced my finger in the blender. The bereavement thread is a comfort to many people. Also, whenever I have asked a question about what to buy, where to find insurance, how to sort my computer and other such quandaries, there have always been helpful replies. Communicating with other posters on here generates a sense of belonging. People bring their achievements here for approbation and air their problems for resolution. They meet up from time to time in R L in a confirmation that the group does not just exist in the murky world of cyberspace.

And after that lyrical waxing I must be off to Leamington Spa.

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

You two belong together. Truly.

magic surf bus and racroesus like this.
  3. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Lead commenter

Well obviously you must.

Keep us informed as to developments...:D

4. Pageant

Pageant New commenter

I posted regularly on TES over ten years ago (under a different name) but the place changed and I was one who joined the exodus group. I've come back recently and mostly lurk but have asked quite a few questions on subjects that I've needed help with and I just came on here again to say how very helpful all those replies have been. So, thank you :)

zizzyballoon and emerald52 like this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Partly because it's my major social interaction. It's safe. It's manageable. You don't have to invite people round. You can ignore people. I can come and go. I can pick and choose. I can veer from salacious innuendo to learned discourse on matters linguistic within five minutes. It's pretty near perfect.

I like the layout far better than any other discussion forum to which I contribute.

And the Iggy function has boosted it from Good to Outstanding.

For someone like me (self-diagnosed narcissistic/avoidant personality) it's perfect! An excellent use of my time.

silkywave and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Not even in another life.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Was that on years ago after Christmas?

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Yes, in the sense that everything is after Christmas until the following Christmas Eve. First produced 1990, believe it or not. Superb documentary TV.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Bloody pedants.
    I watched that series and thought it was very good.

magic surf bus likes this.
  10. EmanuelShadrack

:D:D:D

We're back to the Gremlins Problem - when does "after midnight" finish?

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Why do I post on this forum ? - absolutely no idea

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I started posting for advice when I started teaching. It was useful to be able to ask for help outside my school. There is an impressive breadth of experience on here and most posters share it in a supportive way.

I have several friends who have transferred from here to real life. It is great to have friends spread around the country to go and visit.

As @zizzyballoon said, having people here to chat to when you are recovering from an injury is invaluable. The company on here kept me sane during 10 weeks off work with a broken knee and again more recently when I had another 3 weeks off for another operation.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Everything is relative. That half the posters on here are posting from lunatic asylums, probably made you feel sane in comparison.

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Which half are you in DoY

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

About 3:06 after Clapton starts to play

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's the Everest question.

When asked by The New York Times why he wanted to climb Everest, British mountaineer George Mallory, who died on the mountain during his third expedition there in 1924, famously answered, “Because it's there.”

17. EmanuelShadrack

Quite a nice track.

There was an alternative answer of course - it depends what time you started watching "After Midnight", and whether it's the 1989 or the 2014 version.

18. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I got there and I came back on the 'football special' that was an overcrowded nightmare filled with noisy blokes shouting and drinking beer. They were all on their way to Wembley. Aaaargh.

19. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Who are you, and what have you done with him?

20. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I am the only sane and moral poster on here. It is my life's mission to inform other posters when they have been preverty.