1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What motivates you to post on this forum?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by zizzyballoon, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's a significant part of it for me. Of the various forums I've looked in in, this is the only one I've encountered where comedy can be freely expressed and developed and collectively appreciated in a pseudo-intellectual way. It matters not whether it's satire, silly, childish jokes or humour that only those with an education in the classics immediately appreciate, but there's nothing to stop anyone googling to get the references and find the humour within.

I like it that I can express myself in all the personas I witnessed in others over my life, sometimes bringing ridicule to them and at other times pathos, and sometimes posting as the person I actually am. It's fascinating to read the responses I get from each persona.

I find it fascinating too how seriously some people take themselves, as though what they have to say will do anything all to change the world, but I love it when I'm able to bring my technical experience in an attempt to help solve someone's technical problem. I particularly like that, since it involves more brainpower, both in steering a description of the problem into something that can be solved through an intellectual visualisation of what the cause of the problem could be and of devising an explanation of how it can be cured by the non-technical using only words.

Mostly though, I post in the hope I can engage you in something we find mutually interesting.

As I type, I'm being troubled by a wet dog, fresh out of his daily invigorating shower, which for reasons unknown, encourages him to imagine that I shall enjoy being pestered by his squeaky toys more than I shall before his shower. Who among you has a solution to this that doesn't involve strangling the little bleeder or trading him in for a proper dog?

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Apparently, French teachers of French want it changed. They want other teachers of French to change as well.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  3. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Obviously giving it 110%.

coffeekid and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

God help you, child.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You think the extra practice will let you get that good?

lanokia and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  6. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

And I miss aspens.

lanokia and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, well perhaps you could add it to that drawer of unopened parcels of irony, y'know, just for tidiness' sake.

Flere-Imsaho and racroesus like this.
  8. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

It's like saying "I miss having periods."

foxtail3, silkywave and racroesus like this.
  9. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I don't suppose rac ever had them.

racroesus likes this.
  10. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Get a cat.

needabreak and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  11. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I totally agree but one series I did watch and have re-watched in Ken Burns' history series The Vietnam War on the BBC. It included many recordings of the US presidents' private conversations with colleagues which clearly showed that they knew they would never win right from the start. I lived through that era and now looking back on those events all these years later it is a real eye-opener. Catch it before it goes off I-player.

racroesus likes this.
  12. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

Who are you telling to get a cat?

13. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

Duke of York.Or anyone actually who doesn't have cat.

needabreak and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  14. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

She was fab.

magic surf bus and racroesus like this.
  15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

:)

magic surf bus likes this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I have one of those already. It has more sense than to be around at floor level like I am when the dog is wet.

conversely, it lacks the sense not to enter to enter the space under the kitchen cupboards it gains access to after it pulled the kickboards beneath them off from the plastic Terry clips that retain them.

I have no idea what prompted the cat to learn what might be beneath the kitchen cupboards, or how he manages to remove them. I've found them to be real sods to get off again after they've been replaced and we wonder where the mysterious miaw, miaw, bleeding miaw, we hear might possibly be coming from.

thatmaninthehat likes this.
  17. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

No pets allowed where I live. :(

18. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

They finally caught you eh, Moony? ;)

thatmaninthehat likes this.
  19. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

OI!

Man-Moony and I live in rented accommodation. Landlord says no pets, other wise I'd have acquired an actual pet to go with the boyfriend.

drvs and thatmaninthehat like this.
  20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Having thoroughly enjoyed Burns' The Civil War and The West I made a point of catching up on this series recently. I think BBC4 are already repeating it at a later hour so its iPlayer lifespan has been extended. The hypocrisy and lies of the US leadership at this time (including golden boy Kennedy) is breath taking. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in 20th Century history. It was a huge tragedy for all concerned.