1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What more can be done to improve safeguarding to prevent peer-on-peer sexual assault?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Apr 5, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

A student who was attacked on multiple occasions believes that she and other victims have been failed by the system because the government is not doing enough to tackle the shocking problem of peer-on-peer sexual assault between children. Ministers appear to be in no rush to change the current status quo, which left this victim in the same school as her attacker:

https://www.tes.com/news/i-was-sexually-assaulted-school-when-i-was-12-here-my-story

What do you think the government needs to do to protect girls and make schools a safe space for children to learn without the fear of being attacked?

2. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

Many students do not tell anyone of their assaults either because they aren’t confident enough to or they don’t realise the assault is serious. Schools should run workshops during CPSHE to inform all pupils what constitutes sexual assault and what will happen to pupils if they are found to have assaulted someone.

We also need to give more power to SLT to tackle this problem and exclude dangerous pupils if necessary. From experience, assaults tend to escalate unless nipped in the bud so a clear and stern message of accountability needs to be sent to the perpetrator.

3. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for your comments and suggestions @Lalex123.

Lalex123 likes this.
  4. Betterreadthandead

Betterreadthandead New commenter

Boys get sexually assaulted too.

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  5. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Surely the problem could be alleviated with single sex schools.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Reduced perhaps but not alleviated.

FrankWolley likes this.