1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What modem to buy?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by cj3, Jun 7, 2011.

1. cj3

cj3

My Belkin N Wireless Modem Router has just died - no signs of life. I can't check the fuse cos the plug is a sealed unit. Any ideas? Failing a fix - I will have to buy a new one - but with standards changing all the time, I don't know which spec to buy. Is NN+ the most current wireless standard and what transfer speed should I look for? Any recommendations for a fast stabel router? TIA

2. cj3

cj3

My Belkin N Wireless Modem Router has just died - no signs of life. I can't check the fuse cos the plug is a sealed unit. Any ideas? Failing a fix - I will have to buy a new one - but with standards changing all the time, I don't know which spec to buy. Is NN+ the most current wireless standard and what transfer speed should I look for? Any recommendations for a fast stabel router? TIA

3. It's a sign! Don't buy Belkin...... (sorry, their disconnect issues on http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001IL7OWW annoyed me to death). I'd go Linksys but others will vouch for Netgear. Much of a muchness, really, just find out a friend is happy with and buy that.....

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

5. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I can thoroughly recommend the Billion BiPAC 7800N - it has excellent wireless range, does gigabit wired, dual-channel 802.11n, ADSL2+, you can also use it with cable, FTTP and FTTC, it supports jumbo frames and IPv6, and it's easy to configure port forwarding so that you can access your NAS across the internet. Also, when I swapped from my previous Belkin router to the Billion, the speed of my broadband connection nearly doubled.