1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What might my HT think of this request?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bassetthound, Jul 24, 2011.

1. bassetthound

bassetthound New commenter

Sorry I can't reply instantly to any of your opinions but for some reason there is a delay when I post - not sure why?
    Anyway I managed to secure a full time perm job which are like hens teeth in my area. I have been working in the school for 3 years but this will be my first year as a perm employee. The only issue is that we are relocating and I intend to stay over in a cheaply rented room (family connection) for 3 night a week and travel up and down the rest of the time. My new house is 2 hours away from school - moving end Setpember.
    Anyway I don't want my HT to think that I won't be committed to the school or regret giivng me the perm job so I don't know how to:
    a) tell him that I'm moving. I know that sounds ridiculous but he's a bit scary and brusque and makes me feel incredibly nervous.
    b) propose that I work 3 long days i.e. Mon, Tues, Wed 8.30 - 6 so that I can leave on a Thurs at 3.30 and Fri at 3
    What do you think of this? Am I being unreasonable? Am I worrying over nothing or if you were HT or SMT what would you think of a teacher who lived so far away from school? Would you care? Would you think oh well they are bound to leave, it's not feasible to travel that distance?
    I am committed to my school but I'm bot so good at fighting my corner.
    Sorry for the ramble.

2. a) why would you need to tell anyone at work about your living arrangements?
    b) surely as a teacher you're not contracted to work anything like 8.30-6? directed time is usually only 10 mins after the end of the school day.
    c) are you winding us up?

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

a) Don't tell him - it is *** all to do with him where you live
    b) What time does your school day end? and why do you need to be home by 5 anyway?

4. bassetthound

bassetthound New commenter

I suppose telling HT just as want to be upfront and honest and we are a very small school so it would be a little weird to move house and not tell anyone?
    TBH I have no idea what my working day is! None of the teachers know and everyone just seems to work crazy long hours. In my last school there was directed time and we all knew that today you are expected to work 8.40 - 4.00 and next day 8.40 - 3.30 etc.
    This isn't a wind up - I don't see why you would think that!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It is, however, helpful for the school to have your contact details. If , for example, the school were to be closed unexpectedly due to, say, a boiler breakdown, it would be good for you to be able to be contacted.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. I can't speak for your HT but I think that arrangement would drive me crazy. I don't think anyone is going to allow you to have such specified hours set in stone but you can always ask.

7. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

So you tell the school office - why bother approaching the HT? In addition, I'd like to think I'd be told by phone about a school closure, rather than by letter [​IMG]

8. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Do you work in an academy? I believe some academies have hours which expect you to be on site from and until a particular time (even if the children are not on site at this time.)

9. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer New commenter

b) propose that I work 3 long days i.e. Mon, Tues, Wed 8.30 - 6 so that I can leave on a Thurs at 3.30 and Fri at 3

I'm confused. Are you a teacher?

10. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

So long as fulfil your contractual obligations then it's of no concern to the HT where you live. I wouldn't specifically tell him, but if it came up in converstion then he will know.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I would have thought the Head will, by virtue of having your present address, realises you will be relocating & there shouldn't be a problem.
    Find out who is your first contact at contact at school, secretary or Deputy or whoever, should you need any time off and just make them aware. You always need some contavt should you need to phone if you're ill for example.You should also be allowed a day to move when the time comes.
    Best wishes & hope the relocation happens soon so there shouldn't be a problem for too long.

12. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I don't understand why you would need to work 3 nights a week until 6pm in school anyway. Your directed time ends 10 minutes after the end of the school day, unless there is a scheduled meeting or parents' evening. You will obviously have to attend all of these to meet the terms of your contract (assuming you are a teacher).
    Your headteacher should not really care where you live. However, he/she may be a tad annoyed if you are unable to get into work due to living so far away if, for instance, the school is open but the snow is bad where you live. A friend of mine is in a similar situation; during the snow this year she knew the snow was getting bad, so made arrangements to stay in the school's local area for the evening sos he could be at work the next day (we closed anyway, bad luck!) This is just an extreme example, of course.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I agree with Eva on this one - ensure your accommodation arrangements don't result in more absenteeism or lateness than they would if you lived within a more 'normal' commuting range.
    Having said that, the only time I've ever had to tell off a member of staff for getting in late because of snow it was one of my deputies who lived closer to school than a lot of staff, who had not bothered to set off any earlier that morning and consequenrtly arrived a couple of hours late. Not a good example, I felt, especially as we knew the day before that a snowfall was on its way.

14. So long as you fulfil your duties, I don't see why it should be a problem. Just give your new address and explain your arrangements if you wish. I am not sure about the 3.30pm/ 3pm days though - I think you should work the same hours as anyone else but if this fulfils what you need to do, then fine.

15. bnm

bnm

I'm not especially bothered what times teachers are in school so long as they do their job. I expect them to be there to teach the children and attend scheduled meetings. Other than that I couldn't care less if they lived 5 mins walk away and arrived at 6am every morning, or a 100 miles away and left at 3.30pm and took all their marking and planning with them.
    I would, however, expect the office to hold thier current address, contact number and next-of-kin details.