1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"What makes your Job so Stressful"

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Jan 2, 2019.

1. a1976

a1976 New commenter

The expectation of having to entertain instead of teach and inspire
    The toxic atmosphere created by students, colleagues, parents, and SLT
    Micromanagement
    Putting in ten hour days and coming home working for three more.
    Behaviour and being undermined
    Not being treated as a professional
    Data (ugh, I hate that word!)
    Everything about the job being made to be hard and unpleasant, just for the sake of being hard and unpleasant.
    Money wasting

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I know that some of the positive, hard working people who talk about stress are not moaning.

Of course.

None of this changes the fact that there are drains out there who just like to moan.

3. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou. I am not sure how you are linking those who moan and drain others compared to those who are stressed?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Yes. Agree 100%.
    There are graduate jobs that pay less, different ones that demand longer hours, others that scrutinise performance more. But not all three, I imagine.

I’ve been in this long enough to remember when pay was a lot poorer but nobody watched us teach, checked our marking or asked to see any planning (which meant that a significant number of lessons weren’t planned at all!).

It’s the accountability and the way in which people use the tools to measure our performance against it that is the problem. This has stripped away any autonomy for teachers in a lot of schools I work with.

If you’ve got to spend hours doing tasks that you don’t agree with or see as pointless and then have to justify them, stress levels will go through the roof.

drek, Mrsmumbles and install like this.
  5. drvs

drvs Star commenter

By using the word "some" again. Some moaning drains are stressed, some are just moaning drains by habit.

6. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou. And are you saying that there are more moaners by habit than there are genuinely stressed people?

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Well we can't all be snortin' your particular brand of catnip, y'know....I'm actually proud of putting off two very bright girls from applying for teaching. They'd have been fried and toasted within weeks. Both now happy in better training posts outside education. Those funny little ones where you clock up only 45 hours a week and they treat you like a human being, not a gimp.

install likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

All of the above, plus the fact that the usually arrogant, self-deluded, vainglorious and self-centered SLT think they are doing 'their' staff a favour by pushing all this drivel onto teachers. We support THEM. It is THEY who need US. Really annoys me that. That assumption that they know best. Like fleck they do. Worst retention rates in years, stress levels rocketing...but we've still got time to anatomise the site manager's spreadsheets and practise shouting 'Stranger! Danger!'

install likes this.
  9. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Nope, generalisation not quantification. You seem keen to fish for meanings to in statements that aren't there: why is that? My point remains as it originally was: continual griping from habitual drains can add to the stress of others.

install likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

This, exactly this. Several colleagues got to this stage - I thought about it, then fell ill anyway. Which was handy. Friend from a nearby academy crashed his car into a wall to avoid a meeting. It has got way, way out of control.

install likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

Yup. Never really is about the kids, I find. Virtually all were easy to work with, I found. Once or twice, I had a difficult student who I felt SLT could have supported me better with...oh, hang on....!

install and schoolsout4summer like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

I can tell from your comments that you actually have no idea of how freezing, crippling, dulling and damaging extreme workplace stress can be. It is often coupled by physical and mental collapse. Oooh, or both. Good luck with a sexy and dynamic stress-reduction action plan being implemented when you're that incapacitated. Read some of the threads on here. Good staff. Diligent, bright staff. Ones who work extra unpaid hours. Kicked out. Still recovering two, three, four years on. Or quitting the 'profession', either by choice or because of appalling HR practices, wasting taxpayers' resources and reducing the talent pool more, and more, and more....Oh sorry, I need to stop now. An academy SLT fat cat has just driven past me in his Alpha Romeo. He's off to lecture 'his lot' on staff well-being....

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I'm afraid that you're overestimating your ability there.

14. install

install Star commenter

Thankyou for clarifying your view. In my experience people who moan possibly have something to moan about. And if it is repeated - then its possible no one has listened,.cared or offered to help and has just labelled them instead.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  15. drvs

drvs Star commenter

This response was better before you editted it to add the passive-aggressive statement. Let's move on.

install likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

My initial concern with your responses was that potentially stressed teachers were unfairly being labelled as drains and being negative. That you somehow pre-judged them because they kept on moaning in your eyes.

Having seen,.heard and witnessed such responses being used against seriously stressed,.ill.teachers I felt it necessary to double check your perception of stress. So yes I agree,. lets move on. And thankyou for being so honest.

drvs likes this.
  17. Mrsmumbles

No, you’re overestimating yours, mate.

cazzmusic1 and install like this.
  18. Mrsmumbles

And some naysayers like to dismiss anyone who dares to articulate genuine experiences of workplace stress, incompetent management and flaws in the English education system which should be brought to light as ‘moaning.’ It is not. It is a case of forewarning others so they can progress in their education careers and not feel like a freak if they too suddenly face bullying, stress and fastrack dismissals. Yes it might tarnish the already tarnished image of teaching in Britain a bit more. So what? Trying to silence genuine criticism of corruption is very ‘Donald Trump.’ Fake moans! Fake moans! Drains! drains!

19. Mrsmumbles

Very much agree with this. Being unable to control the uncontrollable isa huge cause of stress. It must wreak havoc with the stress hormones. I wonder if that is why teachers often lose and gain weight quickly as the cortisol levels mess up their metabolisms. It’s becoming an exhausting, thankless job. It’s the parents and SLT who moan,moan moan the most, I find. Nobody goes after them, naturally...no stress or all-day weekends there, either!

Lalex123 and install like this.
  20. Mrsmumbles

What about my colleague, who felt stressed into resigning, despite an excellent track record, subject knowledge and level of experience, because the bully boys deemed him too expensive and went for him as his lessons lacked ‘pace’? Define ‘pace’! They wouldn’t, you see. Because they wanted him out, yes, he was on UPS and expensive.He thought it was him, worked himself up into knots trying to remove his stressors by trying to meet pointless mock targets. During one observation which they sprang in him, Bully 4 even started to time his lesson transitions. In the end, this teacher left to a far lower paid job. He did well there and this vindicated his skills, but he shouldn’t have had to do that or undergo the stress of the whole sorry experience, none of which was his fault. Or which he could control. Deciding that you have to resign from a job that pays everything, with kids and colleagues you like but with a bullying SLT is stressful. It just is. Resigning isn’t really a fix, it’s the only dodge that can be done. That, too, is very stressful. All most union reps can do is force distance between the stressed and the SLT stressors, then get them out, like some sort of Dunkirk rescue commander. None of it is pleasant or easy to take control of. Most have to just leave.

drek, schoolsout4summer and install like this.