1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What makes you lose yourself?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RedQuilt, Dec 8, 2015.

1. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

When the world crowds in on me and I need to reset my factory settings I paint or draw. I'm completely absorbed and can lose hours and hours just through the creativity and concentration.

What do you do to restore your equilibrium?

coffeekid likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Reading a book or just going to bed. Having a bath. Being on my own. On my own is all I really need.

RedQuilt likes this.
  3. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Like you RedQuilt, anything creative which requires total concentration - drawing, sewing an my latest endeavour pottery. Can't wait for the final of the Throwdown tonight, I've become a real armchair expert.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Knitting, particularly a baby or child garment with a pattern. It grows quickly, but requires concentration.

Cross stitch, although that's better in the summer when the light is better.

Reading, but I generally do that at night to send me off to sleep.

I tried mosaics recently, but it didn't grab me.

RedQuilt likes this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've really enjoyed the Throwdown. It's lovely how non-competitive they are with each other.

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Exercise

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I can lose myself very easily because I have no sense of direction. In an unfamiliar place I can become totally lost after just taking one turning.

Noja, kibosh and RedQuilt like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

We have a weekly sweepstake for when the male judge will cry. Last week we thought he'd got through it but no.... in the last minute!

RedQuilt likes this.
  10. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

The male judge is very sweet and emotional, not to mention very talented, but I wish he'd sort his hair out!

11. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Martial arts, especially kung fu.

lanokia likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Beer. Oh, dear.

Well, in that case (!) I will have to admit to losing myself somewhere at the bottom of a bottle of Burgundy.

kibosh likes this.
  13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm afraid I don't know anything about martial arts. Can you tell us how it makes you lose yourself?

14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Painting makes me lose myself. Not good when I have a child who expects dinner every single night. Not to mention all the other domestic drudgery tasks.

kibosh, rachelpaula008 and RedQuilt like this.
  15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Coming on here.

kibosh and guinnesspuss like this.
  16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It must be much more frustrating to get interrupted than for me given that you're a real artist rather than a pretendy one.
    It'll get to the point, when your child is older, that you'll long for her to inturrupt you:)

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I know @RedQuilt - I know. I fear the day already. :-O

kibosh and RedQuilt like this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Long walks. A good book. Sewing. Knitting.

RedQuilt and lanokia like this.
  19. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Reading, knitting and colouring in in my Amazon book!! ( :oops: )

RedQuilt likes this.
  20. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Kung fu can be used for the purposes of self defense, but really it is a programme for self development. It means something similar to 'hard work' and is supposed to help with uniting body and mind as a precursor to meditation. There are lots of different styles, ranging from hard, aggressive styles to the more soft and gentle. It has a very broad spectrum.

I suppose the best way I can put it is that when doing it you get absorbed in the movements and come out of your own 'mental chatter'. You need to be responsive to what is happening in the present moment and so you feel very alive and awake.